Valley of a 1000 hills - Backyard Fun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Badger

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
One of those rides that remind you of the stunning spots we have on our back door.

Offside ( Tenere)and 777( 660) arrived at my spot for coffee and rusks at 7h30 ish and we were all chuffed at what a perfect morning it was for a ride.. :thumleft: :ricky:

We left Waterfall and our first stop was Butlers Farm wich has been deserted for years but has out of this world views overlooking Inanda dam wall. The locals believe the house to be haunted therefor it is unoccupied...heehhee

Attachments

• Kranskop and Sunday 15th 104.jpg
    Kranskop and Sunday 15th 104.jpg
    84.8 KB
  • Kranskop and Sunday 15th 107.jpg
    Kranskop and Sunday 15th 107.jpg
    43.9 KB
  • Kranskop and Sunday 15th 103.jpg
    Kranskop and Sunday 15th 103.jpg
    73.4 KB
We then dropped down into the Inanda Valley and skirted the length of the dam heading inland and climbed to the top of the flat top hill overlooking the dam and Waterfall.

We had been on tar for most of the way but as soon as we got to the top of the dam we were on the dirt and my bike and I felt more at home.

The climb up had some slippery sections but  was well worth the view. Had some single track and short grass sections wich were fun.

We then dropped back down in to the valley and crossed the river on a small rocky causeway and climbed up to the pipeline road running around the tops of the hills overlooking the valley heading up to Nagel Dam. The views were humbling and I felt so lucky to be there at that moment.

Attachments

• Kranskop and Sunday 15th 108.jpg
    Kranskop and Sunday 15th 108.jpg
    40.3 KB
  • Kranskop and Sunday 15th 110.jpg
    Kranskop and Sunday 15th 110.jpg
    38.9 KB
  • Kranskop and Sunday 15th 111.jpg
    Kranskop and Sunday 15th 111.jpg
    45.7 KB
  • Kranskop and Sunday 15th 113.jpg
    Kranskop and Sunday 15th 113.jpg
    42.2 KB
  • Kranskop and Sunday 15th 115.jpg
    Kranskop and Sunday 15th 115.jpg
    59.2 KB
We were riding around huge granite domes as big as hills...... Very pretty.

We dropped down into the valley again and stopped for a coke at a shabeen. Very relaxed and pleasent.

We worked our way up to Cato Ridge were we had some fun on some single track and some anthills........ sorry but I was having too much fun for pics.

I then picked up the pipeline again and rode omongst some impala and on some really fun single track and popped out at the Idube race track where we had a drink and said our farewells. Offside went back up to Howick and 777 and myself back to Durbs.

There is another section of pipeline that I havent explored at it is calling........

Attachments

• Kranskop and Sunday 15th 117.jpg
    Kranskop and Sunday 15th 117.jpg
    62.2 KB
  • Kranskop and Sunday 15th 126.jpg
    Kranskop and Sunday 15th 126.jpg
    39.8 KB
  • Kranskop and Sunday 15th 122.jpg
    Kranskop and Sunday 15th 122.jpg
    43.9 KB
  • Kranskop and Sunday 15th 120.jpg
    Kranskop and Sunday 15th 120.jpg
    45.5 KB
  • Kranskop and Sunday 15th 119.jpg
    Kranskop and Sunday 15th 119.jpg
    50.5 KB
This ride can be adapted to suite all riders including pillions.

We rode through a lot of rural settlements but showed respect at all times, greeted a lot and all we got back was the same....great.

In the last pic you can see the track we came in on in the background.

Thanks 777 and Offside for a lekker ride.

Attachments

• Kranskop and Sunday 15th 127.jpg
    Kranskop and Sunday 15th 127.jpg
    56.9 KB
  • Kranskop and Sunday 15th 128.jpg
    Kranskop and Sunday 15th 128.jpg
    46.1 KB
  • Kranskop and Sunday 15th 131.jpg
    Kranskop and Sunday 15th 131.jpg
    62.4 KB
  • Kranskop and Sunday 15th 133.jpg
    Kranskop and Sunday 15th 133.jpg
    43.8 KB
Good one Jeff

Sorry I could not make the ride..........next time  :ricky:

No problems Jon , next time.

Thanks  TVB.

Hey  Badger

Keep it up and that new adv is going to have more km than your old one .
Glad to see offside keeping the howick name going.

Sorry we could not make it .

Have a great week

cheers

looks like a nice ride!
thanks 4da peechta's!

:thumleft:

next time...........................

Good one J.

I was in Durban, but I had a heap of work to do before Monday, so could not join up.  

We must put our valley tracks together some time, and we must update this with the pipeline and viewpoint stuff.

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=29142.0

Give me a hand ?

>>> Hijack <<<

Maybe this would be a good assignment for a KZN GPS tech day ? Shall we do ? 

You are right Kevin....... Need to ride as much as possible before the bank manager phones :mwink:

Hopefully next time WB.

GG we must sit down and compare sometime or I will take you on my route and you can plot with your GPS........ With me it is  ' Intel inside and idiot outside'........ ask Outthere...hahaha

Txs Jeff, we need to tackle the rest of that pipline soon.

Pleasure Craig......That pipeline is calling for sure.

The faces when we came around on the track were classic. :biggrin:

I have a lot of spots that we need to investigate deeper. hahaa no pun intended.

Sorry I missed the ride. The views are stunning. Definitely a place to visit at a later stage. Glad to see Offside managed to make it in the first 3 home.  :imaposer:

Awesome. must have just missed you. Was also out in the valley yesterday. A Beaut of a day for riding :thumleft:

Pity you could'nt make it WS and hahahahaha 3rd is a good result. It was nice listening to the thumper behind me every now and then.

Thanks Hentie.

Hey BStar, we saw you and wondered who was this chap with his chick cruising through the valley on thier own. We were at the shabeen when you crossed the river on the bridge. I couldn't see your bike as you were traveling away from us...... Luckily no ATGATT police around heehee

Hopefully cross paths again soon........

Nope that was not me  :peepwall:

Was riding with another chap on a Vstrom and another guy on a 690KTM  :thumleft:

Eeeisshh the valley was crowded yesterday  :thumleft:

Saw some plastics as well.....

My schedule is getting better ....so will be joining you guys again soon !!!!!! Looks like a great ride - just love the view over the dam