Valley of Thousand Hills 2008-04-13 - Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
An interesting ride. Not sure it really qualifies as a Wild Dog ride as there were only two Dogs, myself and SlashBack among the ten or so bikes,  but since it was advertised on the Forum, I suppose it was.

From my point of view it was a ride of two parts. A pleasant first half, and then a second half that made me so peeâ??d off  that by the time I got back to the B&B I swore Iâ??d never try to organise a ride ever again â?? but Iâ??ll get to that.

The way the network worked resulted in a few bikes that were not really suitable for the route I had planned pitching for the ride. The first was a Triumph Tiger in full street gear, and the second was a little Indian (KTM?) road thing. I was not particularly concerned as I felt that the two guys were experienced enough to decide themselves and there were a few tar options.

First leg was to the top of Mtabatula next to the Inanda Dam wall. Found that recent rains had damaged the road a bit, and some of the sand patches were a lot longer and deeper than I remembered. Bit of fall-and-giggle but no damage to bikes or riders. The rains had also lengthened the grass a bit and in some places we had to tack back and forward like a lost yacht until we could find what serves as a track.  Luckily the top of the mountain has only fairly meek-and-mild ant-heap monsters and no serious rock-monsters.

Cappuccino break and off to the Mphophoma (which means simply â??Waterfallâ? in siZulu) and from there to the top of Nanda mountain where the view is truly spectacular.

From there the ride went seriously pear-shaped and my enjoyment turned to pretty hostile anger. As the Valley at that point is a rabbit warren of twisty roads and tracks, and there are many intersections, I had pleaded with all to not break the chain and to back-track if they lost contact with the rider behind. At one point I fell back for the last two, the roadies hit the tar and headed for the pub and the chain broke 7 front and 3 back. We waited for a half-hour at an intersection they had missed for them to realize there was no-one behind, but they never did and by the time we made cell-contact they were at an intersection 10Kâ??s ahead and had decided to push pub-wards and write off the last third of my carefully planned route.

It was their loss as the last bit was a really nice piece of road with some stunning views and some weird rock outcrops. 

I was not really in the mood for the company of the others by the time I got to the pub, had one soft drink,  and headed to my B&B and then to watch the MotoGP the local Italian restaurant. 
--
A question people always ask is â??Is the Valley safe?â? There a quite a few riders in KZN who will never venture in and tell stories about bikes being stoned and there is even a story that locals have strung wires across the road. In my fifteen or so trips I have never encountered anything remotely threatening. Today a bunch of youths saw us coming and just sat in a row across  the road and I just smiled and rode through them. I think they were just trying to impress their girl-friends, or as Crocodile Dundee said â??Just a bunch of kids having funâ? I am starting to believe that the stories of hostility are just urban legend and have grown in the telling. I still donâ??t think it is too wise to go in to the Valley alone, although I have on quite a few occasions without problems.

To me, from a biking perspective, the fact that it is tribal ground had great advantages â?? no fences, gates or â??Private Roadâ? signs. Just miles and miles of roads, and some stunning scenery.

Go For It !

Attachments

• KeyMap.jpg
    KeyMap.jpg
    50 KB
  • Valley20080313 001Small.jpg
    Valley20080313 001Small.jpg
    59 KB
  • Valley20080313 003Small.jpg
    Valley20080313 003Small.jpg
    40.6 KB
  • Valley20080313 004Small.jpg
    Valley20080313 004Small.jpg
    92.8 KB
  • Valley20080313 005Small.jpg
    Valley20080313 005Small.jpg
    70.1 KB
Couple More Pics

Attachments

• Valley20080313 008Small.jpg
    Valley20080313 008Small.jpg
    109.2 KB
  • Valley20080313 010Small.jpg
    Valley20080313 010Small.jpg
    46.9 KB
  • Valley20080313 012Small.jpg
    Valley20080313 012Small.jpg
    51.7 KB
  • Valley20080313 014Small.jpg
    Valley20080313 014Small.jpg
    73 KB
  • Valley20080313 015Small.jpg
    Valley20080313 015Small.jpg
    49.5 KB
No disclaimers - it looked like a very enjoyable outing.  I was ticked off all of Sunday whenever I thought about what I was missing.

Nice one guys-i have learnt from experience that it spoils a ride if there are too many varying levels of capability(bikes and riders) Gets to a point where you worrying about others and not enjoying-next time go with Slashback and bugger everyone else!

Hey Slash, pull in your stomach when you lining up to take a pic - it steadies the hand and improves the silhouette ;D >:D

edgy said:
Nice one guys-i have learnt from experience that it spoils a ride if there are too many varying levels of capability(bikes and riders) Gets to a point where you worrying about others and not enjoying-next time go with Slashback and bugger everyone else!
Naah Edgy,

I am not sure that it is a different capability of riders or bikes that spoils a ride, but rather selfish people who come to a planned ride with their own personal agenda, their own idea of the route, and a selfish attitude that says "bugger the rest - i'll do my thing and to hell with the guy that put it togther."

But no problem - I can live with another three people on my history file - It's not that full of biking folk anyway.

Looks like gorgeous scenery, beautiful place and great riding country.  Must take Mark with you when he comes up; he would LOVE it.

dammm,,,,that looks like a very nice ride,,,

would love to do it oneday

nice report, nice pics,,,dont worrie so much,,kids today dont have manners

malgat said:
nice report, nice pics,,,dont worrie so much,,kids today dont have manners

Thanx Malgat, but it was the non-Dog wrinklies that screwed this one up  :mad:

But it is a good route - store it away for when you next down. I'll be down here this weekend as well and tryin to make up my mind 'tween Oribi Gorge or Hella Hella  ???

Extreme Velcro said:
Looks like gorgeous scenery, beautiful place and great riding country.  Must take Mark with you when he comes up; he would LOVE it.
Sure thing, but I am only a temp here in KZN - living in Centurion.
And I wonder if you might consider changing your avatar. Makes it hard for me to concentrate on the postings, and makes my celibacy hurt  :(

Thanks Gunda, I agree - also never had hassles in the valley.  Always a good ride!

SGB said:
Thanks Gunda, I agree - also never had hassles in the valley.  Always a good ride!

Yup. Only hassles I have had have been with the three non-dogs who disrupted my ride and split the pack - and who are all now back on my riding history file as numbers 2-4. 

I need to appologise to SlashBack and the other lekka non-dogs who unwittingly found themselves at the centre of my "ride rage", but they need to understand that this is about the fourth time that this small clique has joined a ride that I have planned, have totally disregarded my request to keep to the route, and keep the pack together, have broken the pack, and we have ended up doing only half-a-ride.

Not Again !

Latest posts