Video: Circumnavigating the Tankwa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Camelman

A 5 minute video of a 640km, 14 hour trip. After the recent rains (60mm I think the one oke said!) this area was nice and wet with plenty of water crossings, washed away roads and bridges and hudreds of meters of sand riding, with a m@erse ditch in the way every now and again. Lost my top-box at one time, but managed to catch it as it came flying past my left shoulder!

Originaly I would have overnighted somewhere, but with the weather looking ominous and the wind nearing 40km/h, I just completed the route in one day. Got to Hopefield where I overnighted at 20:00, after hitting some or other small animal in the dark, using my compass as my GPS power cable had given up, and without a map. Yeah, and after departing Cape Town at 06:00.  :-\

Note to self: Always have a map of the area you're in, even if you have a GPS!  :biggrin:

The video is in HD, but to keep it nice and quick to download, I downscaled it to 12Mb.

Here is the video clip. Hope you like!

[flash=425,344]https://www.youtube.com/v/9z-EqixMoJc[/flash]

Attachments

• Tankwa201012.gdb
    7.6 KB
Ek's seker jy sou Pote! Jy kan altyd die naweek gaan!  >:D

Lekker video Kameelman!  Katbakkies bly een van my gunsteling paaie, veral waar jy afsak in die Ceres Karoo. 
Een ding is seker, 'n topbox hou nie op 'n grondpad nie.

Camelman said:
Ek's seker jy sou Pote! Jy kan altyd die naweek gaan!  >:D
dit raak nou net so bietjie warm daar, meskien moet ek die naweek gaan en dit sien as my kersgeskenk aan myself :biggrin:

Camelman said:
Note to self: Always have a map of the area you're in, even if you have a GPS!  :biggrin:

I learnt that lesson last year after taking 8 hours to do what was supposed to be only 60km of jeep track!  ::)

Nice video. I really enjoyed it.

Do you by any chance have a map of the roads that you travelled?

Hi domstes! Yes, I have the route on my GPS. Will download it this evening and upload it somewhere you can download it!  ???

That sounds very weird when read at speed! lol  :biggrin:

Camelman said:
Hi domstes! Yes, I have the route on my GPS. Will download it this evening and upload it somewhere you can download it!  ???

Thanks, just attach to file to your message. Then we can download it from there.

Lekker vid thanks , see that you are enjoying the new bike.  :thumleft:

Cool vid!  :thumleft:

Weird space cadet music though...  :biggrin:

Lekker vid.  Some of those roads look tricky!

Look forward to getting out there again soon.

domstes said:
Camelman said:

Thanks, just attach to file to your message. Then we can download it from there.

GPS Route from Ceres around and through the Tankwa and on to Clanwilliam has been attached to the original message! After Clanwilliam my GPS power-cable gave issues, so the track is broken up.

Jacko said:
Cool vid!  :thumleft:

Weird space cadet music though...  :biggrin:

;D Thanks Jacko. That happens when You-tube won't allow you to upload copy-righted music. Then you are forced to come up with your own. I call it rock-tronic. Blend of rock-alternative with some synth thrown in! (And composed, recorded, and mastered faster than it takes you to pick your beemer up,  twice!)  :imaposer:

Thanks CamelMan,

Nice Video, long day..........