Violating the Virgin: turning my XR into an adventure bike

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
With the XR finally parked in my garage I can now start the transformation process. Apart from a few scuff marks from living on a farm it’s 100% original and in great condition. I spent last week making calls and driving around looking for the bits I need and managed to either collect or place orders for everything, the bulk of which will arrive through the course of this week.

a0727a7b4d2fe4da4dbdf9f6896d372d.jpg

I wish I could say the lift was mine too! My neighbour saw me offload the bike and came over to look. After hearing my pa lan he graciously suggested that the lift may as well live in my garage for a few weeks instead of his driveway. Thx Cliff!!!

Before I start I need to get a RWC so I’ll do that tomorrow. With that done I’ll remove the seat and drop it at Charlie’s in Centurion for a new cover. The original will be safely stored.

The rest of the week will be spent stripping, cleaning and touching up where required. If I can find the time I’ll also do the carb mod, remove the smog pump, remove the air-box snorkel and fit the new filter. The next step would be to fit a wider front sprocket and check the chain.

Once I receive the parts I ordered the real fun starts.
1. New bars, risers and hand guards
2. Long range tank
2.1 Relocate front indicators
2.2 Depending on the clearance, relocate regulator
3. Fit polycarbonate engine guard
4. New aftermarket silencer
4.1 Fabricate and add spacer to avoid fender and license plate scorching
5. Rear luggage rack
5.1 Remove original tool bag
5.2 Fit subframe brace
6. Tail tidy
6.1 Remove OEM light and license plate holder
6.2 Fit new tail light with LED
6.3 Fit license plate on rear fender
7. Fit wider lowered footpegs
8. Fabricate and fit larger sidestand foot
9. Fit LED spotlights
10. Replace front fender
11. Fit wider front sprocket
11.1 Check chain & Rear sprocket
11.2 Clean/replace and lube
12. Clean headers - Thx Hardy :thumleft:

The order of these tasks is dependent on the order the parts arrive in :imaposer:

This would complete phase 1. Phase 2 would include the addition of pannier frames and fuel pods only required for longer trips not currently on the agenda. I first wish to get comfortable with the bike in my own backyard.

Phase three is in concept phase...this mat include full LED light conversion amongst other things.

PS: All the OEM parts will be wrapped and safely stored.