Vuka's to Moz

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 640 Adventure
Me and a couple of my mates have decided that during the coming December holidays, we want to do a Vuka tour through Mozambique, we want to enter at the Kosi bay Border and make our way up towards the elephant reserve and from there head over to Maputo where we want to spend a day or two, then we want to head up along the coast all the way up to Inhambane and from there to Tofo.

We decided that it might be a better option for somebody to drop us at the border seeing that it might take more than a day to get there (most of us are based in Gauteng).

I plan on doing a lot of documenting for this trip and I want to keep a thorough blog of our escapades. I want to take along a couple of camera’s a video camera and maybe a laptop with internet access (if it’s not too expensive). I also want to keep a video dairy (an interview with every rider every second day or so). I’m a very keen video editor with reasonable skill in editing, and would like to compile a video at the end of the journey.

I will be taking along a garmin nuvi 200, which is excellent for getting around in joburg, but pretty crap when u go off the beaten track or even through ermelo, but if I get the main gps co-ordinates then I will be able to use it as a guide (I hope).And I will have to get a 12v socket to charge the gps and camera batteries.

We decided on the xl110’s but im trying to convince the okes on the 125’s. (Were on tight budgets as some of us are still attending university (trying to finish his 3 year degree in 6)) So were shopping around looking for low km’s well maintained 2nd hand scoots.
We will have to add some lightweight panniers and some jerry cans exec, and there will be some other adjustments to the standard Vuka, which I would like to get some input on.

Seeing that there’s going to be a lot of sand riding, we wont be able to cover a lot of ground on a daily basis, so on the way from ponta de ouro to Maputo there will be couple of overnight stops, not more than 3 hopefully, from Maputo to Inhambane its tar road so the going will get easier from there.
So far we plan on sleeping over at the following towns:

*Ponta de ouro
(’m not very clued up on places to stay from ouro to Maputo so some help would be appreciated, will it be possible to overnight at the elephant reserve?)
*Maputo
*Xai Xai
*Quissico
*Inhambane
*Tofo
*maybe Maxixe as well

As there is still a long way to go an a lot of planning still needs to take place I would appreciate any input and suggestions, as I have only been to Ponta de ouro and Tofo I would like to get some ideas on places to stay at camping sites/backpackers (preferably ones with lots of female backpackers).
I also need some tech input, what type of panniers (I think soft panniers, jerry cans (cheap and reliable)
And what type of changes can we make to the scoots to ease the sand riding exc.
And what documentation and admin things needs to be done?