WD Gauteng Social Loop is Green For Go - 5th Apr

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
Started a new thread on this idea of a social loop. The last thread got a bit untidy and far from the original concept – I take the blame – I did not put my ideas down properly and we got a bit side-tracked.

There was however enough support to take the idea further, so put together a more detailed suggestion.

Suggest date SAT 5th April –  LourensDL was keen, but does not do Sundays, and the Cave Girl does not do 1st Sun in month. There is a “2 wheels for Justice” mass ride planned for 6th and may do. Did a SAT ride with Splash and was nice to have the SUN to relax – or do another ride.  

So, the plan is a ride that is:-
-More social than technical. Plenty of stop time to “network” with the other riders and pillions/hangers-on.
-Is about 250km long and includes at least 100Km gravel. 
-Ridden in “free format” – Not a mass ride, but rather in small groups on the same route.  Newbies and slowbies welcome – ride at own comfortable pace.
-Refreshment, regroup and stop points planned into the route.
-Fast riders and Iron-Butts are welcome to take technical detours if they know of any in the area.

I did some riding today and rode the last bits of the route I have in mind as a “proof-of-concept” ride.  Sampled and took a couple of pics of possible stop points. I don’t trust Mapsource that much after the “Cosmos/Lesbian ride” as a couple of roads were blocked and detoured.    

So my route plan is a loop out West Magaliesburg/Magaliesberg/Cradle way – I know that area best – have done most of my riding that side since coming up from Durban last year. 

My Proposed plan for the test ride is:-
-Riders join the loop on the East tar section at the most convenient point – I’ll join at the Zenex at Laezonia at the R511 & R114 intersection – target time 07:00-07:30
-First leg on tar to Van Gaalen Cheese farm for breakfast – they open from 08:00 and do good coffee and breakfast.
-Onto gravel and along the foot of the Magaliesberg to Amod’s store – Moslem owner – no beer. :( 
-Short tar leg and back on gravel up to Breedt’s nek – stop and admire view. Down and head for the R104 and round the back of Olifant’s Nek dam on tar.
-Onto gravel – nice 45Km bit to tar near Magaliesburg and stop at Wickers Restaurant/Pub for 2nd breakfast or early lunch.
-Short (10km) gravel bit to Maropeng road (possible stop at Maropeng – have to pay entrance fee :mad:) and from there own arrangements on tar back to start point and home. 

If we go ahead I will do more detailed maps for the non-GPSers

Pics are the suggested route, Geen tar- Magenta gravel
Van Gaalens and Wicker restaurants.
Track attached.

Comments please. 

Attachments

• WDLoopPropMap.jpg
    WDLoopPropMap.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 285
  • Magalies20080324 001Small.jpg
    Magalies20080324 001Small.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 275