Weaving in sand

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OomD

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
I recently acquired a new-to-me 2018 690R, and took it for its first offroad ride yesterday. What a blast! But...

The 500 EXC I had previously handled sand like it almost wasn't there. I dislike sand intensely, and eventually got my brain to not instinctively close the throttle when hitting sand, but opening up instead. That work so well o the 500, I had started to wonder why I disliked sand so much.

But the 690 yesterday was totally different. In spite of opening the throttle the bike weaved left and right a lot! While generally going straight the bars were almost weaving full lock. I noticed that if I tap off even just a slight bit, the weaving reduced dramatically (but then the instability increased, of course).

I came down in a sandy section, which I am convinced the 500 would've just glided through.

So, why could this be? Is the bike weight? Suspension setup? (I rode the 500 and the 690 on standard settings, 15 clicks out on front). Tyres, perhaps? I'd really love to try and understand why the 690 seems to handle the sand much worse than my 500 did. Perhaps it is just me and my riding style? Looking forward to some input here.

p.s. Must add I have the same scotts steering damper on the 690, with the same damping settings.