What Bike for Me.......???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 600 Z
Just thinking..........

I have a 1983 XT 600 Tenere and a 1999 BMW GS 1100 Anniversary.
Both in REALLY good nick, nothing wrong. LOVE both of them.
But:
1) They're older bikes (not necessarily an issue, on the contrary, I just LOVE the older "classic" stuff, but ja, just saying)
2) I cant ride 2 bikes at once
3) I'm sort of maybe thinking, if I sell both at, say, R 80000 or thereabouts, and buy something else for about the same..........why not??

............Or then, Why SHOULD I do it??

Looking at something:

1) Reliable and as "old school" mechanics as possible
2) As low as possible (or able to be lowered)
3) As light as possible (we all want that)
4) As "customisable" as possible, example a single seat, suspension, something that one can "individualize"

What I like, from what I saw and the little I know:
(In No Particular Order)

1) Tenere 660......nice, looks nice, too high, dont like the front suspension, but overall a nice bike I think
2) XR 650..............Nice "old school", light(ish), too high, I also never liked the "afdraande" feel, but that can be sorted easy I guess. LOVE the customising the Okes do on them!
3) DR 650.............Hmmmm. Apparently nice. OK, actually very nice I think - with a few nice mods
4) XT 660 R..........Ticks a lot of boxes, but heavyish, and I just cant "gel" with the looks - dunno why. Nice Low Seat Height.
5) R 1100 GS.......GREAT Bike, I have one and LOVE the thing. Heavyish yes, but nice. Ek het so goose in my Eerste Jaar ook gehad. Will swop mine for a lower mileage one any second.
Will obviously then also look at the 1150 GS, with the 6 speed........BUT must say, I really REALLY love the 1100, its more of a "classic feel".

What do I do with an adventure Bike?

1) I have it cleaned and love to stare at it every morning. I'm serious here. That's why I want a nice looking (for me at least) bike.
2) Occasional trips to work and back
3) Occasional short (50km or so) gravel trips
4) Occasional longer (2 nights or so) Weekend Trips.
5) Solo Riding
6) I'm a very very intermediate Rider, careful Guy, kakbang ek bliksem neer

..................So, what say You??

Of moet ek net 'n stuk staalwol loop koop en my hol met dit skuur??