What I pack for a 2-3 day camping ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
So at last I made a point of laying out everything before packing the bike Sun morning 😁
For those of you who wonder what to take on a camping trip, this might give you an idea, but it is by no means the holy grail of bike-camping lists.
And I enjoy keeping it relatively light and basic, without suffering unnecessarily

Roughly from left to right:
Richa adventure riding suit, with warm inner in the jacket. I took the waterproof trouser inners with me, which I did use on Sunday. And opted to leave the jacket waterproof inner, and forgot the loose rain jacket at home 😭
1 pair calf length mohair socks and a shorter pair of Bridgadale socks
Thermal balaclava, which I really needed on Sun
Gaerne MX boots this time (still deciding whether its worth it)
Thor knee guards
Airoh S5 helmet, but did not have time to put in a new pinlock ( which I actually really needed with the cold and rain)
Spirit bluetooth, mostly for music.
GoPro Hero 3 silver, good enough for me.
Richa gloves
Metallize winter gloves (not reeeaally waterproof for long)
Ankle length Goretex thermal cycling bib shorts - incredible piece of kit, had it since 2001 and it keeps one quite warm even when wet
No noise earplugs
Extra puffer jacket, which I wore under the jacket and warm inner, and sleep with as well
Light weight casual sneakers
Jeans
1 tshirt
1 extra underpants
1.5L water bottle
1.5L ice tea, bought at the last shop
2L water in the bladder in my backpack
20L KWay backpack
Enduristan Tornado dry bag (think it is 40L)
Tin of peaches and 1L custard - it was after all only 1 night 😎
Tin of condensed milk, instead of milk, because I felt like it
1 energy bar
Droewors
20000 powerbank for the GoPro and cellphone
Headlight
Small bag with all the electronics cables
Folding camp chair
Inflatable pillow (but I still put my folded riding pants on top of that as well)
Blacks tent - really awesome, could fit 2 people, but perfect for 1 with gear (didnt even put up the outer cover this time
Thin inflatable sleeping pad that I used the 1st time - I think it has a hole in it 😏
Down sleeping bag
Some empty pnp bags
Plastic bag with bandages, survival blanket, etc
Waist bag with a few tools, bolts, nuts, clamps, etc
Small blue cooler bag with my camp stove, gas canister, insulated mug, cutlery, lappie, rolled up alu heatshield, lighter, coffee
Spare 18 and 21 tubes
Small and medium pots with plastic cup, tiny dishwashing liquid, some KFC/Steers/whatever tomato sauce, bbc sauces, and another lappie inside
Purple bag with more tools, spares, fuses, pratley steel, cable repair kit, 2 CO2 canisters and fitting, patches, solution, and a lot of other stuff
Ice cream container with 2min noodles, rusks, chocolate, and I cant remember what else
Bicycle pump
Self made crutch bike stand thingy
High pressure shock pump for the X's rear shock
Small bag with small toiletries
Small microfibre towel and cloth
Some ziplock bags
Rain cover for the Oxford tailbag
(Now buggered) Oxford tailbag
Thin black work gloves
High tech braai grid (think it was some sort of mini oven rack in its previous life, but it weighs nothing and works well enough)
Oh, and a tool tube on the bike with all the usual tyre levers, and pretty much most tools I could need
Leatherman Wave+
Tow rope / strap
Extra cam strap
Some toilet paper, but just enough, because it is heavy 😜
I bought some wors at the last shop as well

And thats probably most of it usually, plus or minus a bit, depending on the trip, weather and whether I go solo or with a mate or 2

Next time I might use the pannier bags again and see if it is better with the weight lower down, and less on my back
IMG_20220529_204634_compress16.jpgIMG_20220529_204708_compress71.jpg

Last edited: