What to do with my Dad's R50/2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hinksding

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR125L
I am in a bit of doubt. Since I can remember my Dad's BMW was standing on the farm in the waenhuis. As a kid I used to sit on it and ride around the world on one place.

As I grew up I started to nag my Dad for a bike. As a farmer in the Northern Cape money was always short for things like that. When he was young he used it as a farmbike, as in those days there weren't anyting like a scrambler/dirt- or plaasbike. When he got married he stopped riding.

When I was 13 he got it running again, and I rode around on the farm. Eversince it was standing.

I would love to get it restored and to give it the pride it should have. When my dad was still alive he didn't want me to spend money on it, for his rightful reasons at that time. Now since he's gone it feels like not if I want to restore it, but more like I have to restore it.

Since there are guys doing a decent job, I phoned around and got a quote for R120k.

Now, I dont really want to spend that kind of money, if the bike is not that much worth. I do have sentimental value, but not that much.

Like I said, the bike is complete, exept for the rear light. There are some surface rust at places, the tank's got a dent, stuff needs to be recromed and the seat probably needs to be replaced too.

Any ideas? I dont want/can spend R120k on restoring it. Selling is not an option.