Which one was fastest ?

Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

dookie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
MBX…,phew long long time ago standard 9…
Had one just like that.
Then it started giving some troubles.
My dad duly shoved it up Honda Hoekie's backside, and was issued with the MBX250.

Very delicate knife work removed the "2" from all stickers and labels.

Now THAT was a awesome little screamer.

dookie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
I had an MTX 50 R. The R was for really slow. In Windhoek, the Gammas were fastest, maybe it was an altitude thing.

Still wonder how your 50 influenced your future biking. I have for the most part always kept a Honda somewhere close.
There was only one 50 slower than the MTX.
The Suzuki ER50.

Beebop

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
I bought an AR50 from a scrapyard for R350. Owner could not get it to run. I found the exhaust was blocked just
after the expansion chamber. It had been ported and was the fastest 50 around. Didn't even have a fairing
on it. I remember those days fondly. My sister traveled to school by bus and whatever her ticket cost, I got the
equivalent in petrol. It would usually last me the month. Those were the days...

heinzz

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Always used the excuse that the AR had a 80cc engine when they kicked my ass on the MBX.

Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
first 50 hand me down from my cousin, MB 5, high school 2 x MBX`s. Manage to get hold of a MBX and MT 5, to keep me busy.

Attachments

• 20151031_130740.jpg
    20151031_130740.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 20151031_131356.jpg
    20151031_131356.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • HONDA MT 5 (1).jpg
    HONDA MT 5 (1).jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • HONDA MT 5 (4).jpg
    HONDA MT 5 (4).jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 0
  • MB5.jpeg
    MB5.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 0

Blikkies1

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Had this PoS as my 1st bike at 16, still have nightmares about it, did teach me how to swing a spanner though.

Attachments

• image_2022-08-05_122035371.png
    image_2022-08-05_122035371.png
    857.2 KB · Views: 0

Roxtar

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Where it all started for me and my boet back in 1980, Yamaha MR50 for me and Italjet for the youngster.... majority of roads were dirt in this Bushveld town so it was an easy decision to get a 50cc Adventure bike lol..... i still own the bike, it cost all of R599 at the time brand new. I learnt lots of skills on that bike and rode it from age 10 to age 18 daily to school as well as delivering 90 newspapers a day rain or shine.... It never skipped a beat...

When I eventually stripped it down for a semi-restore in 2014 it still had the original tubes fitted. I counted 23 patches on the front tube and 14 on rear, we just used to fix and move on and never thought of replacing tubes at that time... All my friends had bikes so we had a jol. Few of the friends lived on farms as well so we had plenty of riding weekends in the veld and dirt roads, I still lean on a lot of mistakes made and learned from those days...

Attachments

• IMG_20201221_085259.jpg
    IMG_20201221_085259.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

sidetrack

Gentleman Dog
Reaction score
Where it all started for me and my boet back in 1980, Yamaha MR50 for me and Italjet for the youngster.... majority of roads were dirt in this Bushveld town so it was an easy decision to get a 50cc Adventure bike lol..... i still own the bike, it cost all of R599 at the time brand new. I learnt lots of skills on that bike and rode it from age 10 to age 18 daily to school as well as delivering 90 newspapers a day rain or shine.... It never skipped a beat...

When I eventually stripped it down for a semi-restore in 2014 it still had the original tubes fitted. I counted 23 patches on the front tube and 14 on rear, we just used to fix and move on and never thought of replacing tubes at that time... All my friends had bikes so we had a jol. Few of the friends lived on farms as well so we had plenty of riding weekends in the veld and dirt roads, I still lean on a lot of mistakes made and learned from those days...
Ah good old Honda (y)

Roxtar

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
What I actually wanted to say is the RZ's ruled the few tar roads in town... the MBX's just could not live with them.... There was one green AR50 and that little thing piped.... I recall at one stage mixing the MR's fuel 50/50 with spirits and changed the gasket for foil.... it ran like stink for a few days and then ignited fuel all over my legs on way home from school from arvi.... was the last "tuning" I tried on that bike... :ROFLMAO:

BuRP

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650R
Still wonder how your 50 influenced your future biking

Really, you wonder???
It's how we all learned to ride - and fall too, mistakes made were learned from!
However, we all 'learned' in a rather safe(ish, OK) environment compared to the "125cc minimum (if not a 150!)" bikes of now, which all do around 100kph or more even: get off at that speed and luck must be with you!
We did stupid things, showed off to the poppies and partied etc, but all on a modest - hence somewhat safe - bike, I'm sure this actually has contributed to us being here now!

Government is stupid to have increased the minimum to 125cc, this is costs lives AND makes parents wary to allow their offspring on them, with the result that fewer young 'bikers' are seen on the road, and suffice to say that those who buy new real bikes are older if not grey!

BuRP

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650R
... was issued with the MBX250.

Very delicate knife work removed the "2" from all stickers and labels.

Now THAT was a awesome little screamer.

Riiiight Dookie, thanks, this explains a lot!
You grew up raised my parents, or at least a dad, who taught you to disregard the law, plus put you on more-than-two-handfuls at the tender age of 16, "go show us what you're capable off son!".

You survived by the looks of things, hmm, and luckily your sense of humour also did..... ah well, all great then innit? :ROFLMAO:

Bill the Bong

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Cagiva Elefant 900
Really, you wonder???
It's how we all learned to ride - and fall too, mistakes made were learned from!
However, we all 'learned' in a rather safe(ish, OK) environment compared to the "125cc minimum (if not a 150!)" bikes of now, which all do around 100kph or more even: get off at that speed and luck must be with you!
We did stupid things, showed off to the poppies and partied etc, but all on a modest - hence somewhat safe - bike, I'm sure this actually has contributed to us being here now!

Government is stupid to have increased the minimum to 125cc, this is costs lives AND makes parents wary to allow their offspring on them, with the result that fewer young 'bikers' are seen on the road, and suffice to say that those who buy new real bikes are older if not grey!
Nope, talking about brands. Not sure how the MTX - Honda link was not clear. So, let me refrase-did your 50 brand lock you in brand-wise? And what 50s did the KTM riders have?

jaybiker

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki Versys
Incredible to recall when there were no limitations whatsoever. Theoretically if you had the money you could straddle a 110mph/170kph motorbike with 'L' plates and just go. No training, no nothing!

I didn't have the money, so I started with 200cc and 105kmh or so.

Jacobsroodt

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
Condred's RZ was slightly faster than my MBX, but then he was smaller. I saw 108km/h max on my white MBX with fairing.