Whilst you were in the Hogsback! (lucky baastids!!!)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouisXander

Keyboard Rider
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR400
I visited my Parents in Fochville this weekend, and as my wife finishes work at 2 daily she and the children left early on Friday to miss the traffic. I  came from Bethlehem and needed to ride, so I went home, parked the bakkie and left for Fochies on the GS.

Having changed the ball joint on the para lever and the top bearing in the triple clamp, I though it would be a good change to test the new ones and see if there is any difference.

Came this morning, I got up and took to the gravel surrounding the Fochville, Parys Vredefort area. All went well, the back of the GS snaked a little on the gravel, but it was handleble.

So when I got to Scandanaviedrift, just before the Vaalriver into the Vrystaat, lady luck decided to boul me a curve ball. I saw this little Hotel, Rapid Waters, and was checking out the nice scenery, and just started accelerating, when under the shadows of a Wilgeboom, a fricken 20cm deep pothole awaited me. When I entered it, I saw here is Sh!t. Couldn't lift the 230kg dry weight 1100GS so it took the "rand" of the pothole at a 90 degree angle.

I immediately stopped and the front was flat already. The right side of my front rim was oval. I took out the plug spanner and tried to hit it straight, but it was like farting into a sandstorm, nothing!!.
So I decided to turn around and slowly drive to the Hotel, maybe I could get the Handyman to borrow me his hammer to mo@r the rim back so the tyre can seal , so I could get air in and go and cry at home.

I haven't even stopped in the courtyard when a oke approached me. I told him my dillema and within 10 sec's I had a leka 5pound hammer to try and persuade the rim back to some of its original size.
WE started talking and it came out that he owns a 1400 V Twin Suzuki Intruder, and his wife a 800 Suzuki Marauder, we had some common ground; I wasn't stuck without help. I took of the wheel, persuaded it, and then he asked me about his 1400 that went wild over 140km/h. He had just bought it from a dealer in Bronkies who replaced the front rim and bearings on the triple clamp, but non the less it was still doing so over 140km/h.

He asked me to take it for a ride, maybe I could see what was wrong. Me not being a mechanic an all, I though I would just return his favor and try it, and never having the chance to ride a cruiser before it was a double whammy.

At first I had to get used to the unusual riding position, and foot pegs so far forward, but then it went like a dream. I discovered that the front wheel was too hard and deflated it, and the problem was solved. I told him I would replace the fork oil with maybe a 10W or 15W, and off I was.

And all of this while you were in the Hogsback!!!

ps: Any one maybe who can help with a 19" ABS front wheel for a 1100GS?

Good to here from you again Louis, you and this 1100 are having moments ........

Welsh  8) 8)

Hey I'm learning to get there!! Just waiting for the Titanic, then I'm landing my 1200 ADV!!!

But you know what was outstanding for me after the incident? I took the bike, bent rim and all to 195km/h on the GPS without having any wobbles at all the front or feeling unsafe.

Half and half makes up for all the trouble hey!!!