Why don't we use published tracks for rides ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
I am confused  ::) - More than normal today.  ;D

I have organised quite a few rides over the last years, and if it is a route I know or have ridden before I always try and publish the track in the planning thread in the hope that the people will download and use it on the day.

Yesterday I published a track for the twisty, turny and many-dead-end "Chase the Train" to Magalies ride, and although there were many GPSs on the ride, I think only two of us had the track loaded.

If someone publishes an invite, and the invite has a track, then I download like a shot so I don't get lost, and I am wondering why the other people don't.

Is it 'cos they don't know how to?
Am I publishing the track in an unusual way?
Is it human nature just to follow the crowd ?
Too much admin?
Decided too late?

I do know that someone who always does is Jules, and he never gets lost on my rides, but he has the same GPS as me (eTrex Legend hCX) so maybe I am doing something wrong for the other GPSs, and especially the Zumo guys ?

I also have a Foretrex, which is probably the "Lowest Common Denominator" GPS, and I always create my tracks to fit into that unit and do a test download.

In fact I cannot ever remember a Zumo user who has successfully downloaded one of my tracks and has ridden it.

So a favour please, and especially the Zumo guys.

There is a track on the "header post" of the ride at:-

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=26572.0

Please try and load and tell me if I am doing something wrong in the way I publish.

Do we need a basic HowTo on using published tracks?

Thanks