XL 600 not starting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidetrack

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Before committing to a rebore and piston kit I was wondering if there are anything else I missed here :

1985 Honda XL600
The bike does not start but turns over (has e-start)
I use a car battery to turn the bike over
Timing marks lines up
Through exhaust and intake ports I can see the valves open and close
The decompressor is manually activated as it has kick start as well so I doubt it causes any interference when e-start is used
When the head was off I put some fuel on the closed valves and the petrol would stay there for a good couple of minutes before some would start to dissapear slowly
Did a quick valve lap seat job as I replaced one valve that was bent
There is spark outside the engine
Putting timing light on the spark plug lead causes no flashing whether the spark plug is inside or outside motor so I can only assume it is sparking inside the motor as well
Putting timing light on the car it flashes
Installed new spark plug
Compression is low (80 psi with some oil in the bore)
I have seen petrol cars and bikes smoke like a Volkswagen Diesel and still run so in my mind should still be enough to start the bike ?
Cleaned carbs
Opening drain screw fuel runs out from bowls so there is fuel in carbs
Spark plug always stays dry no matter how long I crank the bike choke or not, with carb bikes it's normally quite easy to flood a bike so surely the plug should be wet ?
I have sprayed plenty of starter fluid into the cylinder and their is not even a hint of any explosion taking place in the motor
Bought another CDI from Startline which they said "should work"
I have swapped the CDI with one of a XR250L as well which I read works on this bike, still made no difference

I don't know anymore, spark plug cap - lead - ignition coil ? Will try and upload the sparking video. Not sure why the spark plug stays dry but heck surely the starting fluid should at least cause the bike to sort of splutter  :p