XR650L sprocket advice needed from the Guru's......?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
This question was probably asked a million times before, but I unfortunately was not paying any attention at the time. SORRY.

I will be changing out my sprocket set soon and I was wondering if I should go with replacing with same size as original or should I play around a bit.

In my limited knowledge on this subject, I understand that if you go bigger at the back you gain more power with less legs and if you go smaller at the back you gain more legs but less power. Is this in fact so and what will the effect be on fuel consumption.

My riding style does not require lots of power for wheelies or such. I would like to shunt down a dirt road on the straight sections without worrying about what speed I ride, but presently I must constantly watch my cruising speed in order to manage my range. Also at 140km/h with the existing setup it sounds as if the engine is working at high revs to maintain that speed.

Is there an optimal setup which will provide me with a good combination of speed and range?