XTZ 750 rev counter issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings all

I have noticed that my rev counter is not working as it should be.

Firstly, when i ride either through town or out on the dirt, if my lights are on, the revs show about 500rpm less that when the lights are off. I can see the difference just by turning the lights on and off. THe other thing is that the revs dont go past 6000rpm, no matter how hard i rev it. I was on my way home yesterday, and I was absolutrely cranking it along a stretch of dirt road I know very well. 160 kms/hr  :ricky: and the bike is not reving (according to the rpm guage) past 5500rpm. I can hear that the motor is revving much more than that but why isnt it shown correctly on my guage??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yes, I fitted new chain and sprockets the day before. the front is the standard 16T but the rear I changed to 48T, for riding slow with the wife. even with the previos stock gearing, the revs display stays the same for the same speeds.

on the whole my bike runs perfectly, starts first time every time and doesnt complain no matter what abuse I give it. I guess what made me notice this little issue was a clip i saw on youtube of some dopey git redlining his S10 and only doing 170km/h..... then I got to wondering why i have never seen my rev counter anywhere near the redline mark.