• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wild Dog Adventure Riding and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Yamaha XT600 Tenere 3aj legend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teebag

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Vespa (all models)
Posting on behalf of a friend:  WhatsApp - Devin on 0846835361 for more info.

Make: Yamaha
Model: Tenere
Engine Displacement (cc): 600
Year: 1989
Kilometers: 76000
Price: R60k negotiable

A legendary and classic Dakar era thumper in excellent condition is looking for a new home.

Sadly the time has come to pass this wonderful motorcycle on to its next custodian.

This is the legendary Yamaha XT600 Tenere 3aj with electric start. It was not sold locally and it appears this one made its way to South Africa from Germany although it must have been completely rebuilt by a professional fairly recently due to its excellent condition for a 1989 bike. It sports after market stainless exhaust headers with a Sebring enduro 2 muffler which is not overly loud - pleasant for longer trips.

I have owned it for about 3 years and it has taken me on many an adventure while at times commuting me gently to work. It is currently wearing a set of more road biased Pirelli mt90s which took me to baviaanskloof and back just fine, however I might have a set of more dirt oriented tyres to pass on with it (Mitas E-09s)

It's super smooth, nice and torquey, and good lord is that couch of a seat comfortable for all day riding. The rear suspension is on the soft side - and if you're a larger rider it might need to be upgraded. I'm 1.85m 75kg and it is super comfortable but quite soft.

This bike absolutely loves a long gravel road and just soaks up the miles. On asphalt I get a comfortable 130/140kmh.

It's 22L tank is good for 400km. OK, call that 402.5km as tested by yours truly.

As with any bike of its vintage, it requires love from time to time, but as it's a bullet proof yamaha thumper it's mostly maintenance items. I've changed the oil every 5000km with motul semi synth. I recently had the fuel tank resprayed with original style vinyl stickers under the clear coat. The painter did a most excellent job.

Included with the sale is a Clymer workshop manual and a whole bunch of brand new old stock original Yamaha parts probably worth over R10k. From an oil pump, to carb inlet rubbers, to brake pistons, valves, sprockets and too much to mention here. Let's chat about specifics if you're really interested.

As you might have realised by now - I really love this machine. I'm not desperate to sell it but I'm looking for something a little more suited to my current mostly urban riding. I will be sad to hand over the keys but trust that it will bring joy to its new owner.

If this bike speaks to you, get in touch to discuss the finer details. If the price seems too high for a bike of its age please don't contact with your cute offers. If you do understand this Tenere legend, get in touch and let's see if we can make it work - I'm negotiable to the right buyer.

Attachments

• s-l800 (1).jpeg
    s-l800 (1).jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 231
  • s-l800.jpeg
    s-l800.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 229
  • s-l800 (2).jpeg
    s-l800 (2).jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 229