Yamaha XT660R service & discussion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.T

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
This Yamaha is year model is 2006 with fuel injection, Thank goodness not carbureted.
Front tyre is Scorpion Rally STR A. Back Is Mitchillen Sirac. The bike seems to run OK on them but I will replace as need be with something else.
A nice medium size fairing which seems to do the job, I also may replace later with a bigger one. Do not seem to find it necessary to fight the wind if I can have a fairing doing the work.
Motor oil & filter has been changed so all good there.
The hub was replaced new as it was beyond repair, damaged by the chain falling off & cracked when bearings was replaced. All bearing in back wheel replaced.
New front & back sprocket & X ring chain fitted. Geared for longer legs.
Ohlin's back shock & front done. Bike rides in a straight line effortlessly & corners well. Still working on the cornering.
To Paarl & back on a 174 Km round trip calculated 26.5 Km/lt travelling at an average 115Km/h with a head wind on the way back.
And aaaah the seat. What a pleasure. Standard & sits well with me. No Pain.
Starts first time every time but I have only one key so will have to go to the right people (Not Yamaha agents) & have one made up.
A real go to bike for all my local riding & dirt.

Now the one problem that all the boys mostly complain about is when riding slowly in town it surges.
There has been expensive suggestions like the Commander & fiddling with the air box resister to overcome this irritating problem.
But there is I am sure another way to sort this out as Yamaha does not build & sell bikes with this issue.IMG_20230324_132357[1].jpg

Last edited: