Zumo 660 RAM mount to bike solution....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
I've always been a stickler to get a neat job done..........  it's ok to do a quicky as a temp job, but invariably I have a bit of pride in my bike and want something to look good as well as be functional.

I did not like the U-Bolt mounting solution that you get with the Zumo's RAM mount - yes it works if you put a rubber protector in, but invariably - you get vibration, which with the rounded, sharp contact point of the U-bolt...... it will work it's way through to the metal and damage the handlebar's coating.

RAM have a spacer available - at a cost - and I found that it was mainly used as a reducer for a narrower diameter bar.

In Rustenburg I bought a Galvanised bracket normally used for mounting PVC electrical tubing and modified this to protect the bar until I got back to Cape Town to find a more permanent solution..........

This was sufficient to allow the unit to be mounted - for the time being!

I struggled a bit - looking at various clamps available - then over the weekend, whilst doing some plumbing - I hit on a brainwave.....

............. bought a 22mm Brass Pipe Repair clamp................ R32.00

............. cut the clamp in half and with the Dremel - cleaned and softened the edges............

........ first tried mounting using bolts from the back of the RAM mount........ which was difficult to get the Allen key in.......

........  using the supplied 50mm Allen head bolts - together with the locknuts at the back - nice and neat installation and the rubber sleeve supplied with the fitting was perfect once cut to size - the mount is now 100% stable and what's more - my handlebar is protected......

works perfectly ............ so when I have a bit more time to waste - I'll sand down the numbers and probably paint the bracket with black smooth Hammerite  :thumleft: