American Southwest loop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jabus

Pack Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
In the spirit of adventure, September 2022 saw me leaping headfirst into what turned out to be an epic 7,171km odyssey. I set off from Los Angeles, carving a clockwise loop through the heart of the stunning American Southwest. Over the span of 15 days, I ventured through six states—California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona—each adding its own unique zest to my journey. From the sun-kissed shores of California to the neon glow of Las Vegas, the untamed grandeur of the Rockies, and the myriad hues of the Painted Desert, this trip was a living homage to the Southwest's breath-taking scenery and its vibrant cultural mosaic.

(Oh, and just between us, if you're getting the sense that an AI-bot lent a hand in weaving this travelogue together... you've hit the nail on the head! 😊)

Below, you'll find a map that traces the route I took. Laying it out like this really drives home the sheer expanse and diversity of this corner of the globe.

Day0_pic_The_route.jpg

Let me walk you through some of the highlights of this incredible adventure:

First off, let's talk about my visit to Arches National Park in Utah. Honestly, it's hard to put into words just how awe-inspiring this place is. Picture this: natural sandstone arches stretching up to the sky, creating windows to vast, untouched landscapes that seem to stretch on forever. It's like walking on the set of a nature documentary, where every turn offers a new, breath-taking view that just begs to be photographed.

Day 0 pic 2 Arches.jpg

As I continued my journey, I found myself riding through Monument Valley. And wow, just wow. The towering sandstone buttes that rise majestically from the valley floor are nothing short of spectacular. It's a landscape so surreal, you must see it to believe it. These formations, set against the backdrop of the deep blue sky, stand as a testament to the raw, untamed beauty of the American Southwest. Riding through Monument Valley felt like being in another world, one where nature's grandeur is on full display, reminding us of its power and majesty.

Day 0 pic 3 Utah.jpg

Day 0 pic 4 Monument Valley.jpg

The trip continued to the Grand Canyon, one of the seven natural wonders of the world, where I took in the awe-inspiring vistas of this vast and intricate landscape. And a "Chevy Chase" moment....

Day 0 pic 5 Grand Canyon.jpg

A change of pace brought me to Las Vegas, Nevada, for a concert by the legendary rock band Aerosmith, adding a musical highlight to my journey.

Day 0 pic 6 Aerosmith.jpg

I experienced the extreme conditions of Death Valley, known for being one of the hottest places on Earth.

Day 0 pic 6 Death Valley.jpg

Cruised through Joshua Tree National Park, enjoying the unique desert landscapes and the park’s namesake Joshua trees.

Day 0 pic 7 Death Valley.jpg

Riding "The Loneliest Road in America" offered me a reflective and solitary experience through some of the country's most remote areas, contrasting sharply with the "Million Dollar Highway," one of the most beautiful routes in the United States, with its steep grades and tight curves.

Day 0 pic 8 Loneliest Road.jpg

Day 0 pic 9 Million Dollar.jpg

The trip concluded with a moment of reflection as I paid my respects to RPF, a poignant and personal addition to my journey, underscoring the diverse experiences and emotions that motorbike travel can evoke.

Day 0 pic 10 Feynman.jpg

I also got a crash course in what a femtosecond is. I define a nanosecond as the period between accepting a stranger's LinkedIn invite and getting hit with their marketing spiel. Well, let me tell you, a femtosecond makes a nanosecond look like a leisurely stroll. It's on a whole other level of quick! (But I can only reveal the illustrative material later in this report due to, let's just call it "Divorce Attorney Client Privileges.").

Overall, my trip was a remarkable blend of natural wonders, thrilling experiences, and personal moments, making it an unforgettable adventure on the open road. I hope that you will enjoy the journey with me….

Last edited: