The Free State Bash, Meiringskloof 2009 report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeonDj

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Free State Bash 2009 – Meiringskloof, Fouriesburg
After this weekend I can only say that I am a proud Wilddog :biggrin:, thank you for everyone who attended( more than 60 registered WD’s, some with their families), there is just too many names to mention, thanks to the ladies of the Wd’s who helped and assisted with the organizing, Milkybar,  Malibu, Dakota, Zagser’s wifey, Mal you must be a event organizer, thanks a lot what you guys did for this bash. Hentie and Nellis for the food , drinks etc, special thanks to Oom Jaap and his team for letting us Bash there, special thanks to the sponsors, we will mention them as the photos emerge on the thread.
Also a special thanks to the CMA caravan crew (Henry and wifey from Bloemfontein) for having 24 hours coffee ready, this was a first for them to attend a DS biking event and a first for us, as they are also DS people they did ride with us on the outrides, stunning people, THANK YOU for the effort and the service you did on the weekend. :thumleft:
I am going to start on photobucket now, over 300 pics >:D, the guys had successful outrides, LeonDude did finish his Lesotho trip and slayed the dragon, other guys suffered lots of punctures >:D, some had to bribe a certain female customs lady with a Bar One to let him out of the country....., and yes certain bike brands  >:D did come out on top while others miserable failed......, or was it their rider? >:D  :pot:
A rider only came home just before 7 am on Saturday, just as the Lesotho guys were leaving for their ride.... :pot:
Well thanks guys for a brilliant weekend,  it is not I and me, it was we and us that made this possible.
I know that I left out lotsa people but as the thread progress we will get into the groove, and yes Lipton tea  >:D is the official sponsor of the Bash next year with shooter flavours, rum and raisin, and liquorice ..... hehehehhe,  thanks from DeonDJ and HentieBM and the rest of the Free Staters for a lekka Bash 2009! :3some:

The firts WD to arrive at the campsite was Gunda Gunda, after that LeonDude arrived, here they are comparing routes that they travelled down to Fouriesburg. Luckily by now the clouds were clearing and the making of a good bash was in progress.
FreeStateBash2009002.jpg

I also decided to risk and ride my bike to the bash as the elbow was not yet ready, but do you go without a rifle to war, no!
FreeStateBash2009001.jpg

Here Travel Gravel is trying out the 800 and by the smile she is loving it ;D
FreeStateBash2009003.jpg

And ........... Gunda please explain what is going on here, Travel Gravel has got that Ooooo look on the face :ricky:
FreeStateBash2009004.jpg

I had lotsa women on the 800, checking it out, the husbands must now buy after this weekend. Willem, Biela and Willem's daughter checking out the bike.
FreeStateBash2009005.jpg

Aaaa and wonder who this is, Tequilla shots at nr 12 campsite...
FreeStateBash2009007.jpg

Looks like it was a good one, .....

TK 10 enjoying the view from the top, did ride his Honda 450 all the way from Kroonstad. That rock proved to be a good vantage point on the proceedings around the campfire ;D
FreeStateBash2009023.jpg

After the first night around the fire, after the second night things looked little differently, some rider had to recieve some medical care on the eyebrow, the circumstances surrounding this incident is still unclear, did his friend give him the uppercut, or what did happen there, Smithey I think is just membe the problem or was it The Sandman? >:D
FreeStateBash2009024.jpg

The weather played along and we had a stunning evening, little bit cold but everyone survived the night without incident.
FreeStateBash2009025.jpg

Christo FS on the Legend, nice bike Christo and did you really have to show up on the AT and make me unhappy. thanks man ;D
FreeStateBash2009026.jpg

Welsh said:
Welsh yes it is not a understatement, a shaman >:D, a she/he man with a straw tutu jumped out the bushes and did a tribal dance, with fire on his head >:D this madoda he danced the night away, this amakosi did buy 2 plots in Lesotho >:D, this earned him the price for the worst rider on the outrides, the he/sheman did take this in her/his stride and accepted it gracefully if one can call it that, the Kloof is now scarred for eternity, the dark side really was there ;D
FreeStateBash2009183.jpg

DeonDj said:
Welsh said:
Welsh yes it is not a understatement, a shaman >:D, a she/he man with a straw tutu jumped out the bushes and did a tribal dance, with fire on his head >:D this madoda he danced the night away, this amakosi did buy 2 plots in Lesotho >:D, this earned him the price for the worst rider on the outrides, the he/sheman did take this in her/his stride and accepted it gracefully if one can call it that, the Kloof is now scarred for eternity, the dark side really was there ;D
FreeStateBash2009183.jpg

Some things cannot be UNSEEN!!!!

Yep agree Welsh, we will never be the same again! O and that is not really fire on his head, the camera played some nice tricks >:D
Ok back to the normal pics, Saturday the riders split up, some to Lesotho, some to Clarens, myself Arrie, Christo FS and Henry with pillion Lourika decided to go to the border post and then up to Camel rock, that KTM 950 of Henry moves!
The bikes at Camel Rock
FreeStateBash2009027.jpg

The rock formation with the Camel head in the back ground
FreeStateBash2009029.jpg

Scooters in a row at Camel Rock
FreeStateBash2009030.jpg

Henry and Laurika from the CMA people, he can ride that bike, an old hand at DS biking ;D
FreeStateBash2009032.jpg

After this warm up trippie we all moved back to base camp to wait for our enterpid guide that was still resting in his chalet to go to Clarens.
Just some of the group on top of Surrender Hill, taking in the scenery
FreeStateBash2009045.jpg

More riders
FreeStateBash2009046.jpg

The two funky young WD's with their mooi-mooi's on ;D, Cappie can you spot your old Funduro?
FreeStateBash2009050.jpg

The Honda's back wheel of TK 10, put better tyres on boet.. >:D
FreeStateBash2009047.jpg

Some of the knobblies were off to the nylon below
FreeStateBash2009048.jpg

Henry's steed
FreeStateBash2009049.jpg

Some more riders
FreeStateBash2009051.jpg

Christo FS se AT
FreeStateBash2009053.jpg

Klrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Arrie's bike, joe daai bike het 'n mooi klank op hom ;D
FreeStateBash2009052.jpg

The two young ladies on their dirt bikes
FreeStateBash2009042.jpg

These two can ride dirt bikes, dad one of them wants a 200 for riding to school in Ventersburg ;D
FreeStateBash2009043.jpg

Saturday morning the ladies jumped in and made a huge breakfast, the army stormed in and all sat down for a nice brekkie
FreeStateBash2009039.jpg

Dakota with the kids, poor Dakota's shoulder still not right and Smithey's son's foot was injured at rugby
FreeStateBash2009040.jpg

Another random pics, Cavegirl at nr 12
FreeStateBash2009010.jpg

The stunning view from nr 12 spot
FreeStateBash2009011.jpg

The army on its way to prepare food for the masses, Willems wife ;D
FreeStateBash2009022.jpg

The guys digging in, Louis nie soveel op 'n slag nie man! :pot:
FreeStateBash2009038.jpg

This is how we lube a Katooms chain
FreeStateBash2009033-1.jpg

Nice party, thanks for a wonderful weeken Deon. I just landed, am lekker moeg. Will post some photos a bit later.

Deon , that will happen to an off-road tyre on a XR650R when you try to keep up with a GS800
on a tar road through the twisties .
Maybe, next time, on a gravel road , I will give you a run for your money........ ;)

TK-Ten said:
Deon , that will happen to an off-road tyre on a XR650R when you try to keep up with a GS800
on a tar road through the twisties .
Maybe, next time, on a gravel road , I will give you a run for your money........ ;)
Sorry Theuns earlier I said 450..., actually a 650 you ride, yep I know that twisties like my hand on the road to Clarens, get yourself a 800 and we could both fly through them, dankie Theuns dat jy en vroutjie daar was, hoop julle het dit geniet ;D, maar jy het goed gedoen met daai rooi gevaarte, hy laat waai.

Gunda checking in safe and sound.

That was a great weekend   ;D

Amazing location. Great company. Great riding.    :ricky:  :ricky:  :ricky:

Thanks so much to the organizers.

Pictures and tracks to edit - byeeee.

TG and myself just made it back home too.

We had an awesome time, thanks to everybody involved in the organisayion!!!  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

When we stopped at Surrender Hill a few of us decided to turn offroad to 2 dairy farms I know, I know that the scenery is awesome down the valley and off we went, Arrrie in front on his KLR with the deep throat purr exhausts, and Arrie - boet you still got very sharp reflexes, he hit a patch of Vrystaat clay, woops the back wheel to the right, out comes the leg in milliseconds to correct the sudden sway or the back..., you caught it well and you floored in time, nice riding with you guys ;D
Biela and pillion on the way back
FreeStateBash2009055.jpg

Habba Habbaaaaa and little Habba ;D
FreeStateBash2009056.jpg

Henry
FreeStateBash2009057.jpg

TK Ten on the mighty 650
FreeStateBash2009058.jpg

Willem and Willems daughter
FreeStateBash2009059.jpg

And over the hill they go....
FreeStateBash2009060.jpg

Glad you guys are safely home, still waiting for others to report in ;D

Thanks to all, great weekend and people, made some good new friends :thumleft:

Stop over at Clarens, WD's go big as the street were lined with DS bikes, Willem and his better half ;D
FreeStateBash2009065.jpg

TK Ten and his wife
FreeStateBash2009066.jpg

Milkybar the one and only, Louis Zander and wife and kids at the back.
FreeStateBash2009069.jpg

The WD bikes at Clarens
FreeStateBash2009064.jpg

Milkybar se kuikens..
FreeStateBash2009068.jpg

Adventurer looking "Who is going to sit on my Katoom when I am not looking" >:D
FreeStateBash2009062.jpg

More bikes lining the road
FreeStateBash2009063.jpg

Yip!! Agree!! It was an awesome weekend in every respect, the venue, the nature and surroundings, the weather, good food etc etc . . HOWEVER . . . . NO event can be a success without GREAT people . . like the ones being there this weekend!

Guys & gals, you are prescious and special in every way! We appreciate you all!

Me, Riana,  Biela & Frane say 'n  very BEEEEEEEG thank you to each and all of you that made this bash what it was . .
. . .  .  A GREAT SUCCESS!!!

Deon, Hentie, Malibu and others, we salute you for this brilliantly and efficiently organized bash! :salut:

We really love the Wilddog fraternity but FOREMOSTLY EACH OF YOU AS INDIVIDULAS & FRIENDS!!  :thumleft:

God bless you all!!!

Our pics will follow later . . . .

Latest posts