Choo Choo Chain

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droffarc

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda NC750X
Pardon me boys, I'd like to chat about a choo choo chain. :roll:

For some months now my bike's chain has had some tight spots. At the previous service they told me about this but said it would be ok as long as I keep the chain well lubed.
At the time of the last Buffalo rally I was a little concerned at the the sound it made when I arrived in Mosselbay but soon forgot about it after the rides I enjoyed.

I made a point of it to lube the chain every time I ended a major ride and especially at the end of a weekend.

When I had the new rear tyre fitted they too indicated that they had adjusted my chain as best they could.

I was then hardly aware of any problem.

Last week I took the bike for the 36thousand KM service and they adjusted, cleaned and lubed the chain and since then my bike sounds like a choo choo train at any speed.

I took a look at the chain again and squirted some additional lube. What I noted was that the chain is well adjusted BUT when the tight spot goes over the front sprocket the chain pulls tight and the rear wheel must be encouraged to turn till the spot is over the sprocket then it turns well.

my dilemma is now:

Do I just ride it like this, keeping it well lubed? The ride I did over the weekend showed that the bike was a tad heavier on fuel and I can really feel the tight spot - maybe my imagination but I can swear it produced a bit of a sideways wobble, especially at lower speeds.

Do I replace the chain and sprockets? I'm a bit of a cheepskate and would like to get maximum out of it.

Do I just slacken the chain off a bit? Will this make any difference?

Your knowledgeable comments are welcome. No I do not have an oiler.

(PS. No comments about shafts please, that is a sore point!)

Latest posts