HID woes and a trick or two

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plothond

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
Now it's my turn to suffer from the intermittent HID gremlin  :mad:

My low beam just plainly and flatly refused to come on over the weekend. I ended up coming home from a ride on Sunday with the Hi-beam on and 5 000 enemies.

The unit is just under 2 years old and has done 33 000km. Remember on the 990 KTM the low beam is permanently on.
Adventurer advised that it is highly unlikely to be the globe, so I did some investigating and swopped with the Hi-beam ballast onto the lo-beam globe - it worked.

After swopping back again the lo-beam worked intermittently. I'm pretty sure the that ballast has a bad connection or something.

Thanks ADV for the help and the delivery of a new ballast tomorrow

Anyway - here's the trick for the 950/990 owners:
The ballasts are the same - only the globes differ
In an emergency you could then just swop out the Hi-beam and Lo-beam connections to the globes, put on the hi-beam switch and voila the Lo-beam will work.

Alternatively, make sure when you install both ballasts - do it the following way:
Both globes (ballasts) are supplied from the same connector block.
Instead of permanently joining the wires (from the connector block) to the ballasts - use insulated spade connectors.
Should the Lo-beam ballast pack up - you swop the supply to the working ballast, swop the globes connectors and you have temporary permanent solution.  ;D

When you get home you can replace the offending ballast