Mitas C-17 front review on a KTM 950 with video

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamanya

Andrew to most
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Mitas C-17 “Stoneater”

It is a very aggressive looking 80/20 DS tire. It is touted as tough 4 ply tire for hard ground and rocks. I’ve not seen any bigger DS bikes with them and wanted to know how they ran.

First ride...

Most dangerous, slipperiest, took the longest to ride in, tire yet. It’s near lethal till the release compound wears off. The compound must be a near relative of Teflon.

After that it was interesting to find out that it is very sensitive to tire pressure. Too hard and it misbehaves; doesn’t track in sand well. Squirelly on gravel. Couldn’t trust it.

But going down in increments I found that for my bike 165-175kpa is the sweet spot. Rocks, gravel, sand it is a really good tire for 80/20 stuff. (No mud to play in, so can’t say) Points really well and has lots of feel. Didn’t deflect too much off the big rock strikes and was stable and grippy in the rocky down hills. On gravel of all types was pretty sticky, predictable and pointed and braked really well. Sand is where the pressure had the most difference. At higher pressures it washed out a lot and was difficult to really trust it. At 165, it worked.

Normally I ride all my fronts at about 200 or so and don’t really worry about the pressures. I tended to avoid airing down due to pinch flats and have just kept the habit even though I run a Tubliss system up front.

I like it a lot offroad.

Tar;

The 20% tar that it advertises is not bad. It grips well and corners neutrally but I am not brave enough to go looking for the limits on tar to tell you just where it will let go. Braking on tar is surprisingly good once it has been thoroughly scrubbed in but I wouldn’t use it for commuting day to day.

Wear so far – 750k’s has been pretty good considering.

I would definitely take it on a long tour that has mostly gravel and rocks.

I am guessing due to its tough 4 ply build that it is also pretty puncture proof.

Here’s a video of my thoughts whilst on a sandy jeep track. (Weren't they looking for Two Wheel presenters recently!?)

Click on the black picture;