1 Night in the Tankwa (with drone footage).

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Almero

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
Hi all.

Spent last weekend riding the well-trodden R355 through the Tankwa. 3 Teneres together, the three Teners  ;)

Stops included the Tankwa Padstal, Skaapstekertjie Plaas and De Mond. Man was it hot! Thank goodness for the brilliant swimming at De Mond's river.

What made this trip stand out was the inclusion of a brand new semi-autonomous DJI Mavic drone. Check out the short video below. GoPros are so old fashioned!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXi6JVVPcUQ[/youtube]

Man, that thing is wonderful. Give us all the details please. I want one

Cool vid. What speed can that drone for?? Looks like you were riding very slowly when it was in the air. Does it have that follow me function

Draadwerk said:
Man, that thing is wonderful. Give us all the details please. I want one

DJI Mavic Pro. Incredible piece of kit. About 30 min fly time on a battery. 4K video. Can follow you and find its way home autonomously. And it fold ups small enough to fit in a tank bag. Apparently Apple Store is gonna stock them soon.

This one belongs to my mate (the guy in the vid constantly looking down to keep tabs on his pricey investment flying above).

More info:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1d_ptE6yrc

whitedelight said:
Cool vid. What speed can that drone for?? Looks like you were riding very slowly when it was in the air. Does it have that follow me function

It can do about 60 miles per hour. It does follow autonomously, but we found it lost us above about 40kph. Ideally you'd probably need a pillion to be the dedicated pilot.

Very nice. But is does seem somewhat cumbersome to pilot the thing, right? Not meant for use on a busy road with other road users really?

Draadwerk said:
Very nice. But is does seem somewhat cumbersome to pilot the thing, right? Not meant for use on a busy road with other road users really?

It uses GPS to keep itself in place in the wind. And has ultra sonic sensors to prevent collisions. So you won't crash it. But yeah, it does require a fair amount of user input to keep up and get decent shots. They'll likely improve the following function in future updates.

Would be cool shooting something like Katbakkies,but might struggle to keep up.

40kph?

Sheet, so ek moet half trottle in 1ste rat ry vir 30min lank  :imaposer:

Maar dit is super cool, moet saamstem  :thumleft:

Dit is nou lekker speelding.
Dit sal lekker werk vir moeilike areas, dink net as jy kan kyk uit die lug hoe lyk die pad vorentoe deur die bos of rivier voor jy ry en dan afneem soos die ouens uitsweet.

Dammmmmm .....I want one of those ......but at R23k its an expensive piece of kit.
I see Drone World has them in stock.

Awesome! :thumleft: Footage is great, gives a whole new perspective on the Karoo. Pity it's so dry...

Love me a drone!

Really kewl, but I think this video has just rendered all other traditional riding videos obsolete....... In time to come they will get more affordable by then there will prob be many regulations out to govern them too