1150 GS rear shock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bees

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Hi manne

I found myself in a bit of a situation. Sometime last year I was busy adjusting my rear shock  bit softer, and throught the years the plastic nob which you turn to set the pre-load wore out so that the nuts that turns does not bite to the sides of the plastic, so I had to adjust the shock with a socket, then for some strange reason the head of the nut broke off leaving my shock un adjusable...with the shock made much softer and no way to adjust it because I can't turn the nut...
The problem is that the shock now is to soft and with the bike loaded and me and a pillion on it compressos the shock heavily...
I can ride the bike, I am just not sure if it is good for the shock to be so heavily compressed, for a singel guy on the bike its fine but adding some weight makes me wonder
I tried to fix the problem myself but had no success...I went to BMW bavaria yesterday to find out I fI could buy a new housing ( I don't actually know what the part is called, its that whole unit sitting on the side of the bike where you adjust the shock the part that compresses the oil...) no help there I would have to buy a compete new shock and that gonna cost R10 k.
So...

Firstly, riding with the bike packed and a lot of weight with the shock that compressed,  is that bad for the shock...can I actually leave it like that and ride without worries...?
Secondly, is there anybody that can help me with a part like that or some-one which can help me with this problem that won't cost me R10 k...some one with a moertoe old bike that I could buy only that part from or so?
Thirdly, What would a good aftermarket shock cost for the rear and would it benefit to replace this one with a new shock...?

Latest posts