1200 GS Final Drive issues - it's bad, but not that bad...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eisbein

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
My 1200 has just clocked 100 000km.

Although it was a couple of hard k's there was never any skimping done on maintenance.

A while ago I started noticing the dreaded vibrations through the pegs.

Of all the things of 2nd hand 1200 out of warrentee ownership the FD was probably the one thing that I was the most apprehensive about.

So I wasn't impressed when I realised that mine was on its way.

And truth be told - for every one sensible oke like Michnus there are about 30 others blowing the hype on about how 'stuffed' you really are when you have FD issues.

I bought the 1200 from Highlander and he put a good couple of rough and heavily loaded k's on it - amongst others a big trip up in africa with pillion and lots of luggage (recent events on the forum will make me refrain from mentioning what trip :biggrin: ).
He also had a two up tour up Sani pass.
I celebrated me getting the bike with an almost 7000km two up and heavily loaded tour around the country and through the rough when it had 60 000km on.

It is now a year and a half later and I had done the final drive no favours.

In short - I was a) not surprised that it was going and b) under no illusion that I might have somehow have the 'FD f-up fairy' pass me by with her wand.

After speaking to Michnus I took it off the bike and took it to Atlantic motorrad to have them check if they think it possible/worth while to have it fixed / overhauled.

I got the quote and decided to not even stuff around.
For the same price of a 2nd hand one (where you don't always know exactly what you're getting) I had every single thing that seals, turns or bear load inside the FD replaced (apart from the crown wheel and gear - that was still fine)

So now I have a good as new (and with apparently a better main bearing than what it came out with) overhauled and backed by BMW FD.

The price was hefty to pay at once (especially for me - I don't look upon that type of money as small change), but the fact stands - FD overhaul at a BMW dealer is cheaper than having the clutch replaced.

And a clutch is considered a maintenance item.

Yes - the older BMW's was way cheaper to have a FD overhauled and yes they lasted way longer and yes it doesn't last as long as the Katana shaft I had or the Yammie 1.1 or Vee-Max, but still - R5400 for 100 000km of no sprockets, no chains and no chain maintenance or adjustment isn't shabby at all.

I would almost think it's very reasonable.

Add R40 worth of oil and a little bit of effort every 10 000 km's as preventative maintenance and I still don't think I was 'shafted'

;D ;D ;D

This isn't a 'sing BMW's praises' post, but the fact is - it was better than expected and the guys at Atlantic didn't give me any of these ummms and ahhh's and 'can't be done's that we seem to hear about.

For interest' sake, here's a breakdown of the cost:

AX BEARING K1200S  1,049.14
NEEDLE BRG R1200GS  436.53
SHAFT SEAL R1200GS 161.14
O RING R1200G 11.81
NEEDLE SLEEVE 477.73
BEARING 992.96
SHAFT SEAL R1200GS 296.02
SHAFT SEAL R1200GS 187.35
O RING 17.60
O RING 65.56
COVER R1200GS 32.79