276C - memory cards. Group buy from USA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonerider

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
Following on from my post in this thread.

The 276C uses Garmin's proprietary memory cards, which are astronomically expensive. (Self-imported landed cost anticipated to be R2k for 512MB. SA retail price R3.4k for same card...)

So, any links, sources, or info on where to get a cheaper card? I'm looking for the 512MB card, although guess 256MB or 128MB will also do. Would prefer local (SA) as less hassle, but for a good price ex-SA supplier will suffice.  Second-hand is fine, but will want to test it before handing over a lot of cash.

Any forum vendors able to help out? I know the card will be expensive, but am just looking for a fairer price that doesn't have a 50% premium attached to it.

Does anybody know of adapters that will allow a more modern card (one of the SD variants for example) to be used in a 276C?

I did previously find a thread of a guy that hacked a Garmin memory card to upgrade it (breaking it apart and soldering in extra memory cards), but don't think I´m quite up to this... (Misplaced the URL too.)

(Edit: title & spelling)

(Edit: Title changed to reflect group buy discussion starting with reply https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=39493.msg768616#msg768616)