'97 Suzuki VS400 Intruder - grey import? parts? manuals? wisdom?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThomasZA

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Ola fellow dogs... I hope this is the right place to be posting this... if not - a relocation would be welcome  :peepwall:

A friend of mine bought himself a VS400 intruder years ago. It's been a lemon since day 1.  :(
If the bike is cold it REALLY REALLY struggles to start. Once its at temperature its ok.
Problem being - a fresh charge on a battery alone isn't enough to get it going from a fully cold start... so he's not exactly got much use out of the thing.

Finally after literally 4 years of pestering, I've convinced him to pull the carbs, give it a once over, service etc.
I'm sure clean carbs with fresh jets, freshly set idle and mix, should sort out his issues...

Problem is - apparently the thing is a grey import... so now the struggle begins...
If the Suzuki dealers he has been to are pretty rudely telling him they dont care, and that he wont find items at any other dealers etc...
Where can he go for a carb kit? or to get a manual, or for any of the other things (the air filters look pretty damn specific too - and I assume the oil filter will be a similar pain in the ass)  ???

This all being for a 1997 Suzuki VS400 Intruder (VIN: VK51A103918)

Really want to help this guy get at least some use out of the thing...  :ricky:
its literally his 1st bike purchase - and has been nothing but hassles.

Latest posts