990 EFI KTM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
MadAl - on this site - busted his leg in 3 places. Ag shame. It actually looked very bad and he didnt take photos to boast later on, so I was really peeved at him.

Not peeved enough though to give his 990 EFI KTM (which was standing in his garage replete with dead muggies on his handguards and windscreen) a good ride.

Well. When I say a good ride, I dont mean a thrashing. I mean, a nice ride on the road, with 12 metres of offroading. Heres my impressions in terms of comparison:

1) Torque - my bike with 16tooth counter shaft sprocket (standard is 17) has more torque it seems. Its more noticeable with passenger on. (I rode with a pillion). However, once it picks up, theres no difference really.

Hilde's words were (a complete untechnical viewpoint): George your bike just goes. The 990 seemed to take a bit longer but once going, it....went.

Judging her unbiased and honest opinions with a bit of knowledge, that could be the 16tooth she was on about, but theres more: my 950 has baffle less Akrapovics whereas the 990 had original zorsts. The big difference to me is the aural quality and may "give" the impression that the bike is moving faster.

2) Smoothness. The 990 is so kick ass smooth compared to 950 that I am shocked. I give it 9 out of 10 for smoothness. Reminds me more of a BMW now...

3) Suspension. On the road, the dropping of height is incredible - I ended up going circles in the road dragging my feet, readjusting, dragging feet so easily and so confidence inspiring that it was phenomenal. Hilde commented too how planted and secure the bike felt.

Offroad, the suspension ate up bumps and stuff like it wasnt there. My bike would have been jumping everywhere. This leads me to believe that either my suspension is a bit kus, or theres an improvement somehow. Ten out of 10.

4) Wow - the comfort - Hilde's first words............. sez it all. It was infinately more comfortable than mine, and its all in the seat. For the driver, it supports the back more, and is a big improvement IMO.

The rest is pretty much the same.

I am not a fan of ABS personally, and I managed to lock up the wheel on tar for a brief 1/10 second chirp. Renthal bars flex a bit so when I was chomping on the front brakes (Sorry for Hilde and her womanly attributes), the front tyres were great, just bit and didnt skid and the bars flex slightly, and make it all smooth. Very nice.

Otherwise, braking power is the same, the wind protection is same, and the rest of the engine is the same really.

Just smoother, probably better fuel consumption etc.

One bad point: it doesnt have the option to turn off lights and they leave an ugly filled in space where I have the "off - dims - lights" option.

Cool! Would I buy one to replace my 950?

Working on <it> quietly.........