990 Fuel Filter Standard Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Adventure R
I know this is a topic which has been posted many times before on this forum, but for the benefit of newer 990 WD's or those who might not have read it before, I thought I might post it again what just happened to me so that other guys can learn from it.

In December I did a 4,500 km trip on my 990, just about 100 km's after the bike's 15,000 km service - everything was fine after the service and away I went.

Then, suddenly after about 3,000 km's on the trip the bike suddenly started to lose power at high RPM and I couldn't go much more than 40 km/hr at 4,000 RPM max. If I left the bike to stand for a while or overnight in camp the problem cleared and at low RPM and mid-range speed the problem never re-occurred until again going at high speed or high RPM. Eventually I made it back doing the last 800 km's at 110 km/hr and took the bike in to Ultimate Performance to have it checked out.

Apparently the problem was the "tea bag" pre- fuel filter clogging, which apparently is a common problem on 990's, even for not particularly dirty fuel. Even though the 15,000 km service I did just before the trip did include a fuel pressure check, the filter was close to clogging then already but the service schedule does not require a change if the fuel pressure is OK.

So, my plan is now to replace the filter every 2nd service, even if the service schedule might not call for it - don't know if any one else maybe has any other suggestion or advice?