A big mistake...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BraveG

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph (all models)
So I bought an R50/5 about 3 months ago from a chap in CT who rebuilds BMW's as a retirement hobby and he did a basic rebuild on mine, new tank spray job, and general cleanup, but we had an understanding that the bike would need further fettling to get it as close to perfect as it could be, I just didn't have the space in my workshop to rebuild another bike at the time.

I have been slowly servicing it while taking it on very short rides around the neighborhood and to and from work which is only 3km's from home. So I finally got the gaskets and filters I needed and based on the dark colour of the oil leaking from the sump, I decided the various lubricants could do with renewing, so I have been steadily changing out engine, gearbox etc, until I got to the shaft drive.

I took it for a little 5 min ride to warm up the oil, popped it on its stand, loosened the shaft drive drain bolt and...nothing. No oil.

I couldn't believe it! I wasn't sure who I was angrier with, the guy who built the bike for me or myself for not checking the oils right from the word go. I really should know better than to ride a bike without running through a basic service checklist, I guess I just assumed...

So, blame and cursing aside and considering that the odometer reading is 70,000km's and that I have done about 10-20kms of very gentle riding on a shaft drive with no oil...just how much damage do you think I have done? Should I strip and change parts now before I do anymore riding or do you think the bike is hardy enough to have avoided damage from this silly mistake?

I await your lambasting but ever-sage advice in shame...

G

Latest posts