A CAN bus, and time on my hands.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OomD

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
This is a build thread with a bit of a difference. I won't be building or restoring a motorcycle, but rather a motorcycle accessory.

The idea started a couple of months ago, and finally I have been able to start it. What is it? Well, it's essentially a little device with 4 (electronic) switches to switch stuff on and off on your bike, but with a twist... This one allows you to use your bike's existing controls... without tapping into any of the control's wires! How does it do this? Simple, it listens on the bike's CAN bus for when you activate your handlebar switches, and then reacts to that. It will be fully programmable, so you can tell it what you want it to do.

For example, you can tell it to turn on your spot lights with ignition, but to dim them automatically at night; yet still brighten when you flash your brights. You can connect a red LED set to it and tell it to flash those LEDs a few times when you brake. Or, if your spots are mounted close to your indicators you can tell it to turn off either the left or the right spot while the relevant indicator is flashing, aiding in the visibility of your indicators (like modern cars do). The possibilities are virtually endless, you can even switch on your garage remote when you press the indicator-cancel button. Or whatever other button you want to use.

This little box will have 4 outputs that can be programmed to your liking. You can use 2 for your spots (or 1, if you don't want to control them individually), one for a rear light, and another for your garage remote.

So without further ado , here's some pics of the progress. Thus far I have used my PC to monitor the CAN bus and analyse its contents to figure out what is where, so it's time to start building the prototype unit.

Photo1. Home made PC board for prototype.
CANSwitch%20-%201_zpsz0yfd2ps.jpg

Photo2. Most components assembled, and the CPU already turning small LEDs on and off.
CANSwitch%20-%202_zpsvoemvnse.jpg

I'll update as progress is made.

Caveat: Currently this is for the R1200GS LC (K50, K51). I might port it to the older models as soon as current prototype development is complete.