A short trip on the Weskus

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westfrogger

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
No map. No GPS. No panniers. No tools.

Just half a tank of petrol and a sense of anticipation. Some food and water that would keep me alive for a few days. And a backpack containing everything I thought I'd need. It was a typical Weskus summer Saturday morning: a bright sun and wind. Much of the hooch from the night before had been digested and snored away.

I'm not going to tell you about the route, or show you the food. The Weskus is full of character and characters, but even this I will leave to your imagination.

This Saturday was about one thing and one thing alone ...

westfrogger said:

Just half a tank of petrol and a sense of anticipation. Some food and water that would keep me alive for a few days. And a backpack containing everything I thought I'd need. It was a typical Weskus summer Saturday morning: a bright sun and wind. Much of the hooch from the night before had been digested and snored away.

I'm not going to tell you about the route, or show you the food. The Weskus is full of character and characters, but even this I will leave to your imagination.

Unless you complete the report, this will be the worst report of 2017  :imaposer:

katana said:
westfrogger said:

Unless you complete the report, this will be the worst report of 2017  :imaposer:
And shortest :lol8:

... speed.

17-falw-airshow-039-X2.jpg

half a tank of petrol

did not get him very far......... ;) :peepwall:

The Langebaanweg Air Show.

17-falw-airshow-117-X2.jpg

The first since 1995 (which was a spectacular event). I did what us bikers do well: I left late. And rode past the 1-kilometre-long queue high to the front. Arrived 62 seconds before the gates opened and was the first to pass through.

:lol8:

An apology was extended to the bloke and his wife who were second through the gate. They arrived 2 hours earlier. I was travelling light: two packs of nuts, some biltong and six litres of water. Plus 25 kilos of camera gear.

Although show day missed the worst of the hot spell it was hot. Note the heat haze.

17-falw-airshow-032-X2.jpg

The SAAF put on a good show, and had much of their inventory on display. Some of it not flying.

17-falw-airshow-010-X2.jpg

17-falw-airshow-012-X2.jpg

Some of it flying.

17-falw-airshow-165-X2.jpg

The funny thing with airports in the Cape: you face the  :BangHead: sun. Clearly no photographer was consulted when they constructed them. So the day starts with shooting silhouettes ...  :scratch:

BK-117 (I want one)
17-falw-airshow-121-X2.jpg

Gripen.
17-falw-airshow-119-X2.jpg

Same thing, different perspective.
17-falw-airshow-118-X2.jpg

Hawk and lucky bastard that gets paid to fly the thing.
17-falw-airshow-124-X2.jpg

Sooo ... about the motorcycle part of the trip (this being a motorcycling forum and all that:
44 kilometres in total (so my tank was still just about half full when I got home). My walking on the day more or less matched that distance. Nothing broke, and I never stood on my pegs, not even in Langebaan. I must be doing something wrong ... cause everyone else does.

Having said that the Dog that pulled a long wheelie down Bree Street (Langebaan) yesteerday evening on his ge-panniered 640 did a fine job.  :evil5:

Drought? What drought?

17-falw-airshow-125-X2.jpg

Back to the aeroplanes.

The entire event was all about these blokes: the Silver Falcons' 50th birthday.
17-falw-airshow-208-X2.jpg

17-falw-airshow-185-X2.jpg

17-falw-airshow-067-X2.jpg

Did mention it was hot?

17-falw-airshow-052-X2.jpg

Damn you must have some heavy equipment...
Photos are sick!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a dare to me ...
17-falw-airshow-010-X2.jpg

:scratch: ...
17-falw-airshow-012-X2.jpg

C-130 and beer tent benches.
17-falw-airshow-019-X2.jpg

Excalibur said:
Nice,

That helicopter is still flying, that is a BK 117

Oops. You're right, thanks for pointing that out: I confused one photograph with another. Rookie mistake.  :dontknow:

THIS is the now-slightly-dented Oryx
17-falw-airshow-001-X2.jpg

17-falw-airshow-090-X2.jpg