A very short trip while the ever elusive sun peeks out!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
This weekend sun has been forecast...........  25 - 26deg  :thumleft:

So there were two things that had to be done before it disappears.... one was to collect some 20mm Ammo boxes from Essex to convert to panniers for the XT's...... and the second was to go and search for some decent ladies vented jackets!

Met up with old Grizz who joined me for his day off......... to collect the new panniers..
p1080522p.jpg

Both the Bimmers loaded with Ammo cases..........  now the question would be... do I leave them as is for houding (and will SA Customs love me walking in the airport with these... :mwink:) 
p1080523k.jpg

or........ do I strip them down and finish them nicely to look like these?
pannierrear2.jpg

pannierside3.jpg

side2t.jpg

The Kent countryside is stunning but unfortunately with the narrow lanes for 2-way traffic there are no places to stop and take pics.
A real pity - so it seems that in the future the helmet-cam will be used.

A quick trip to chat to the BMW dealership - annual service is due and I have cracks appearing on the mounting section of the screen......  guess what BMW says.... those are mould-marks....  :-\  ......... cannot let it spoil the day so off to Helmet City to check out new jacket for wife..... as it's now Summer here... we're looking for a nice vented jacket and found "this" nice jacket for a mere 100 Pounds!  :thumleft:

Nice cut and style... and affordable!
ixonflorajacket.jpg

On the way back from the bling-place, I decided to do a short detour via Biggen Hill - that played a pivotal role in the Battle of Britain in 1940. Saffer - Adolf "Sailer" Malan was Wing Commander and OC of Biggen as well... so lotsa SA history attached.
p1080552x.jpg

I could also not resist getting some "scenery" pics and what better backdrop than the legend of the air!  :mwink:
p1080543s.jpg

p1080551k.jpg

p1080541r.jpg

p1080550.jpg

The chapel is part of the memorial and open for visitors - a stunning garden of rememberance is on the side and at the back, but unfortunately the visit will have to wait until next time.....
What's evident here is the respect and preservation of the history of the country and it's people. They are very much into preserving the past and remembering........ whereas I found in SA the newbies are very much into tearing down, destroying the heritage, and only remembering the past they choose to support their ways... a real pity!

p1080549h.jpg

fluit-fluit ek's uit!

Hope to do a nice one soon.!  Greetings from here...  :thumleft:

Nice een, lekker jaloers op die Spitfire foto  :thumleft:

The dawgs in SA are blessed with so many sunshining days - glad you enjoyed the few you get...

Thank you for sharing and nice pictures of some history...  :thumleft:

Looks great Peter.

Bikes look awesome 2.

But damn those bloody yellow number plates will really clash with my colour scheme

Do u have any choice ?

Wayne

hayleyscomet said:
Looks great Peter.

Bikes look awesome 2.

But damn those bloody yellow number plates will really clash with my colour scheme

Do u have any choice ?

Wayne

Wayne - no choice with the plates unfortunately!

Nice report, Goose.  I like those ammo boxes.  Many years ago I trained on 20mm ack-ack guns made by Hispano-Suiza, (although they tried at the time to hide their name).  Should have kept some boxes!

Nice RR Buddy :thumleft: :thumleft:

Just out of curiosity..... what is this "cylinder thingy" I have shown in red??

Attachments

• Goose Bike.jpg
    Goose Bike.jpg
    35.1 KB
Bring It On said:

Flip - cannot take you guys anywhere....?  :imaposer:

It's a Tax-disc holder/tube...........  waterproof and anti-theft proof.  Nogal lekker - it turns to allow the viewer to see the disc. To get the license out you need an Allen key...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MOTORCYCLE-MOTORBIKE-BLACK-TAX-DISC-HOLDER-CYLINDRICAL-TUBE-ALUMINIUM-UK-/130681611633?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item1e6d3b2571

Again a travelling you lucky so n so.....  :mwink: :mwink:

Thanks for sharing and the pics on the history too..... and what a difference in the public gardens
there...... :thumleft:

Goose said:
Bring It On said:

Flip - cannot take you guys anywhere....?   :imaposer:

It's a Tax-disc holder/tube...........  waterproof and anti-theft proof.  Nogal lekker - it turns to allow the viewer to see the disc. To get the license out you need an Allen key...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MOTORCYCLE-MOTORBIKE-BLACK-TAX-DISC-HOLDER-CYLINDRICAL-TUBE-ALUMINIUM-UK-/130681611633?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item1e6d3b2571

That is a pretty nifty little holder :thumleft: :thumleft:

Thanks for solving my curiosity :thumleft: ;D ;D