Advice needed: Swaziland and Mozambique

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanI

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Dogs,
Next Saturday I am leaving with a friend on a 6 day trip through Swaziland and Southern Mozambique. Rough plan is to leave JHB on Saturday morning, enter Swaziland and spend the night somewhere in the little country. Next day we will leave Swaziland through the south and enter Mozambique at the Kozi Bay border post and spend the night in Ponta da Ouro (been there many times during our diving days). On day 3 we will leave for Maputo and make our way to Bilene and spend a night or two in that area. From Bilene (or thereabouts) we will start to make our way back to SA through the Komatipoort border and back to JHB, maybe taking in some of the awesome roads around Sabie, Lydenburg and Dullstroom.

I would really appreciate any advice on the following:

1. How does currency work in Swaziland? Do we need to change money or can we spend Rands? (credit cards for petrol?)
2. Is petrol freely available
2. What is the weather like this time of year in Swaziland?
3. Any recommendation on where to spend a night? I prefer camping but my buddy is pushing leave the camping gear behind to save weight. Nothing fancy, just clean and decent with good beer.
4. Does anyone have any decent GPS routes they willing to share?

We are both a lot more comfortable in Moz as we have been there many many times but Swaziland is a bit of a mystery.

I promise to take plenty pics and put up a decent RR.

Thanks
Ryan