Advice on a 125cc needed from the "Learned" WD members please?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
:) My cash is in the bank for my new scoot - now the beeg problem she is rising!

I have 2 sons - 15 & 17 and I have to buy 1 (one) slightly capable 125cc that could be used to teach the boys to ride on, but more importantly - used to teach wifey to ride on!

I do not want to dig or even borrow from my GSA fund (would rather not buy then at all) but am trying to find something decent on the market. Could possibly afford about R10k - pushing it (there goes the Tour-X) - have been looking at the Yamaha DT125 (very good workhorse... but too costly new) - Honda NXR125 - not bad at all - but also out of budget.
Leaves me with these "weird" named scoots.... for R9k - R12k....... but dunno whether they are any good when they run out of lighter-fluid?

Anyone know of a good condition 2nd hand bike available in the Cape Town area.... between say R7 & R9k ??? or better still - where could I possibly rent/hire or loan one to do the teaching on. I only seem to be able to get hold of scooters (which I don't really consider to be a bike) or very expensive "tourist" rentals?

Any advice please?... (by the way... been searching the CapeAds... not much...  :()