Airhead afficionado's, I need your honest opinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lem

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Hey guys

I am in the market again to buy a bike, and I'm into a bit of retro style at this moment. I'm not worried about top speeds. I'm not concerned  too much about technical roads either, I'll mostly do tar, and short stints on good gravel roads like we have in the Western Cape.

I wanted (or still do) to buy a Royal Enfield in military green. I like them for how they ride, and their mechanical  simplicity & integrity, and the fact that I now have the Cape dealership only 10km from my house. I have one problem with the bike....due to the weakening Rand, the Enfield price is about to rise for the second time this year, up to R 53 000 new. Now they really don't sound like a bargain anymore.  And this also means that, if I buy it, I need to finance a certain portion of the sum.

It also means that, for the same installment, but for a longer term, I can go to Donfords and buy me a lekker used 1200GS, which is a completely different league, and that doesn't do the Enfield any favours. But it will also mean I might cut my own throat again, and I don't want to make the same mistakes as before. I would much rather use debt to help finance a newer car for my wife.

But my question to you guys is this: On gumtree a lot of really neat looking R65 roadbikes are popping up. Around R 20 000 to R 25 000 a shot, sometimes a bit more, but then you get a R 100 RT/RS/T.
Most of them have low mileage, and panniers allready fitted.

How usable are these bikes really, 30 years down the line? What are the special needs, or the constant tinkering to look out for? How are the spares availability? Is it better on the R80's or R 100's, than on R 65's? Can they run on unleaded fuel? I want to be able to tour long distances around SA, but I'm no mechanic, and I'm really scared of buying a lemon.

Your inputs are much appreciated.

thanks

Louis

Latest posts