Airhead tappet covers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacapa

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650L
So I've been riding these things for the last 35 years. Much fun, comeraderie and great times were had on 300K km + on a bunch of these bikes. I'm at a crossroads now and have a few questions.
My one problem is that the R80/R100 /07 series like to drag the tappet cover in corners a bit too early. This results in kiff bevel marks on the tappet covers lower edge. All good here and a good few Kwikasfukis
were dispensed with in the corners. Then the bike falls over a few times because you had too much to drink or ran out of talent trying to do off-road. End result is a little pebble or grain of sand manages to get through
the now very thin lower bevel mark on the tappet cover and the bike suddenly turns into Defender mode by pissing oil all over the place.

Now I got two stories here:

#1 is on Gumtree as a parts bike - R100RS for R16K. please buy this if you really need it. Google is your friend. Has some bevel marks on tappet covers which have been expertly filled in with Pratleys Steel so should be good for a while. The parts are good for what they are though and I think the value is there. I can elaborate more detail here. Ask me questions.

#2 is my mongrel R80 Monolever road bike which managed to throw me off in May 2020 after a proper tankslapper going over a speed hump in Hillcrest, KZN. The WP front fork springs and longer Wilbers rear shock may have had something to do with this. End result was a sudden compression of the fuel tank on a tree stump which the bike managed to land on. It wasn't planned. Furthermore the upper fork bridge (38.5mm) got bent out of shape and the LHS tappet cover looks like shit.

Looking for R80/100 -/07 LHS tappet cover and 38.5mm upper fork bridge. Good condition lower triple tree would be a plus. Then we will re-asses. Anyone?