Alone time with the Tenere

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buff

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
I finally had some free time to spend in the Tenere's saddle today so I decided to take a back road cruise out to the first enduro of the season in Caledon. Time ran away from my this morning so I only left around 12pm, in the mid day heat.

This is the route I took, giving me a round trip of approx. 350km.
4gix3l.jpg

By the time I reached Franschoek I need a drink so I picked one up in town and enjoyed it at the top of the Pass:
2eocfep.jpg

Turned onto the dirt just after Tweewaterskloof dam and then the fun began. This is on the road to Botrivier:
iqlj5v.jpg

The views along here are amazing, even if the Overberg is pretty dry this time of the year:
5bzbzn.jpg

More views:
14cz5zs.jpg

Must admit, the more time I spend on this bike the more I'm enjoying it. It just seems to make gravel riding so effortless. Glimpes of the ocean in the backround:
swzr79.jpg

Finally made it to the enduro just after 2:30pm. It was hot and dusty and the guys looked broken:
2e19ao2.jpg

I only hung about there for 30min then my ass started itching to hit the dirt again.This is one of the small river crossings about 25km after Caledon:
2ia9axj.jpg

The magical Overberg. The gravel roads were in fairly good nic (for a bike) so I was able to cruise between 60-100km/h most of the time.
5l1jld.jpg

Stopped in at Dassiesfontein for some refreshments. A moer Koffee and 2 slices of fresh plaasbrood with jam and cheese cost me 24 bucks...bargain:
2v9ybfl.jpg

A quick jaunt on the N2 then it was home jerome, back via Theewaterskloof dam:
11jvl1c.jpg

By now it was around 6pm but I was having fun so I popped in at the new Berg River dam in Franschoek. Looked around and found one of my old mountain bike trails I used to train on so cruised around there for a bit until I nearly moered off on some loose rocks so decided to call it quits and head home:
15xmwk7.jpg

A few things I've learnt about my Tenere:
It likes to be ridden hard. With the big single it's either full open our full closed, I prefer open. It's happiest operating between 4-5000rpm but you need to feed it through evenly in the dirt otherwise the back just spins it up. It hates operating at anything below 3000rpm so you're constantly changing up and down. It's a bit tiring but very involving. It loves dirt and the suspension is simply awesome. Standing or sitting it tracks very precisely and instills me with a lot of confidence (maybe too much).

But it's not all good, on tarred mountain passes it is crap. The compression when you come off the gas in a corner drops the nose and then there's a lag before the power comes through again, almost like a turbo lag. Maybe I will get used to it but for now it sucks. It does force you to ride smoother though.

But there's way more positives than negatives and I'm looking forward to spending plenty hours in this bikes saddle. Next week the Leo Vince's get fitted  :thumleft:.

Great pics. Riding alone is lekker. I do it all the time. Just you the bike and your mind and all the kak leaves your head.

But who took that pic then?

That bike looks SO well balanced & the suspension looks like it can be played with...what settings do you have on the front & back?
Nice pictures & thanks for sharing. The bike is awesome :thumleft:
P

Nice one - she looks really pretty in the dust  :thumleft:

Die Overberg is maar stowwerig hierdie tyd van die jaar. Kom maar weer Caledon toe in die winter as alles mooi groen is.

Johnnie Bok said:
Die Overberg is maar stowwerig hierdie tyd van die jaar. Kom maar weer Caledon toe in die winter as alles mooi groen is.
Ek sien hy ry lekker in die Swartland rond terwyl hy eintlik in die Overberg is!! :mwink: :thumleft:
Like your bike Buff.
Thanks for the feedback on the bike.

chrisL said:
Ek sien hy ry lekker in die Swartland rond terwyl hy eintlik in die Overberg is!! :mwink: :thumleft:

Also noted  :D

Buff said:
I finally had some free time to spend in the Tenere's saddle today so I decided to take a back road cruise out to the first enduro of the season in Caledon. Time ran away from my this morning so I only left around 12pm, in the mid day heat.

This is the route I took, giving me a round trip of approx. 350km.
4gix3l.jpg

By the time I reached Franschoek I need a drink so I picked one up in town and enjoyed it at the top of the Pass:
2eocfep.jpg

Turned onto the dirt just after Tweewaterskloof dam and then the fun began. This is on the road to Botrivier:
iqlj5v.jpg

The views along here are amazing, even if the Swartland is pretty dry this time of the year:
5bzbzn.jpg

More views:
14cz5zs.jpg

Must admit, the more time I spend on this bike the more I'm enjoying it. It just seems to make gravel riding so effortless. Glimpes of the ocean in the backround:
swzr79.jpg

Finally made it to the enduro just after 2:30pm. It was hot and dusty and the guys looked broken:
2e19ao2.jpg

I only hung about there for 30min then my ass started itching to hit the dirt again.This is one of the small river crossings about 25km after Caledon:
2ia9axj.jpg

The magical Swartland. The gravel roads were in fairly good nic (for a bike) so I was able to cruise between 60-100km/h most of the time.
5l1jld.jpg

Stopped in at Dassiesfontein for some refreshments. A moer Koffee and 2 slices of fresh plaasbrood with jam and cheese cost me 24 bucks...bargain:
2v9ybfl.jpg

A quick jaunt on the N2 then it was home jerome, back via Theewaterskloof dam:
11jvl1c.jpg

By now it was around 6pm but I was having fun so I popped in at the new Berg River dam in Franschoek. Looked around and found one of my old mountain bike trails I used to train on so cruised around there for a bit until I nearly moered off on some loose rocks so decided to call it quits and head home:
15xmwk7.jpg

A few things I've learnt about my Tenere:
It likes to be ridden hard. With the big single it's either full open our full closed, I prefer open. It's happiest operating between 4-5000rpm but you need to feed it through evenly in the dirt otherwise the back just spins it up. It hates operating at anything below 3000rpm so you're constantly changing up and down. It's a bit tiring but very involving. It loves dirt and the suspension is simply awesome. Standing or sitting it tracks very precisely and instills me with a lot of confidence (maybe too much).

But it's not all good, on tarred mountain passes it is crap. The compression when you come off the gas in a corner drops the nose and then there's a lag before the power comes through again, almost like a turbo lag. Maybe I will get used to it but for now it sucks. It does force you to ride was smoother though.

But there's way more positives than negatives and I'm looking forward to spending plenty hours in this bikes saddle. Next week the Leo Vince's get fitted  :thumleft:.

nice ==please indicate where u turned off after tweefontein dam (map not so clear) keen to do route soon)

thanx

Did you really had to quote all the pics to ask the question ?  ::)

Overberg - Swartberg, you know what I mean  :D

Plaashaas, it's the first turn to your left as you cross theewater dam, the road goes to Botriver with a detour to Caledon as well.

Buff said:
Overberg - Swartberg, you know what I mean  :D

Plaashaas, it's the first turn to your left as you cross theewater dam, the road goes to Botriver with a detour to Caledon as well.

Thanx bud

!

Operator said:
Did you really had to quote all the pics to ask the question ?  ::)

Did u not see how nice they were??? come one are u on dial up or what ?

:-\

Nice pics and report. Couple of comments:

Mine has no "turbo lag"but if you twist the wrist all the way the power can be quite brutal.

On tar , finish all yr braking before a corner and feed thru a big of gas while in the corner ... the Tenere likes being ridding like this.

An i have to concur , the suspension os so damn good on the Ten that it allows me to be better offroad than i actually am...its bloody marvellous off tar