Alpinestars bionic back protector

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kykdaar

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Zundapp (all models)
Decided that it is time to invest in some proper safety gear and have one of these on order.

The sales blurb is -

Incorporating design innovations from MotoGP development, and Dynamic Force Dispersion Technology (DFD Tech), the Bionic Back Protector offers CE Level 2 protection in a slimline, unobtrusive form for performance, safety and comfort, both on the road and on the track

Found this review on the net -

I like it.

You hardly notice it's there after you put it on, and if you are wearing a backpack, forget about feeling it. I feel much more protected and also, my jacket is a little more filled out since the chest area has stretched with use a bit and now it hugs me nicely when buttoned/zipped snug.

The construction of this back protector seems top notch. The waist straps ride above your waist and are supposed to wrap more around your kidneys than anything else (hence the kidney protection).
The shoulder straps are small and comfortable.

I noticed that while walking, the back protector will ride up a little bit, but on the bike, it stays put. It is designed to go under your jacket and the size Medium for my 6'0'', 165lb frame is just right...It could maybe be a bit longer, but definitely not wider (I'm a hard fit being tall without the usual muscle bulk).

Pros:
- Small
- Light
- Quality Construction from a trusted brand
- CE Level 2 impact performance (the best)
- Soft bottom part near tailbone
- Very comfortable
- Seems to give me a better riding posture 
- Easy to put on and fast to put on

Cons:
- Rides up a little bit if not adjusted right before putting on a jacket
- While it does have air venting...let's be serious...it's gonna be a wee warmer with less breathability than just the foam back pad in most jackets

Anyone else have this and can give their impressions?

Attachments

• Alpinestars bionic back protector.jpg
    Alpinestars bionic back protector.jpg
    27.4 KB