Another way to pick up a bike...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leon H

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
After checking out and trying out the arse first way of picking up a bike as explained at dicussed in an earler "How it pick up a bike" thread, I just about broke my spine, and I felt like a tool! Perhaps I do not have the same tranny strength as those girls! Seeing as though my Mrs is just getting into adventure bikes, I thought I'd show her the technique I used to teach when I was a riding instructor - I reckon it's easier and looks a bit more stylish than the arse first method!! Also took the opportunity to take some snaps to include here......

1 - Relax: The bike is not going to get any more damaged sitting on the ground. Take a minute to get your breath if you stacked it, and assess the situation.....you'll hurt yourself and probably drop the bike again if you go off half cocked and re-drop it!

IMG_0006.JPG

2 - Turn the key off. If the bike's in gear, leave it in gear, it'll stop it rolling away. If it's facing up or down a hill, drag it around so it is facing across the hill, with the wheels pointing downhill....

IMG_0007.JPG

3 - Stand on the tank / seat side of the bike facing the bike. If you can, turn the handlebars away from the ground.

IMG_0013.JPG

4 - Position both hands under the handle bar end, knees bent and lift. This position gives you the best leverage, and the bike isn't going to roll off as it is in gear. All you have to do is lift straight up. Remember take your time, have a break halfway up if it's getting heavy. If you're like me you can use ya big fat guts to prop the bike up :oops:

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

If the bike has landed with the bars turned the opposite way, and you can't straighten them, get in close the the bike with the knees bent, and grab the bar and the gear rack. Again lifting from the knees, slowly bring the bike up, if it's heavy, take a break halfway up and prop it on guts again. This way is a little more difficult as you do not have the same sort of leverage as then the bars are turned the other way.

IMG_0015.JPG

And hey presto your bike is up!

IMG_0017.JPG

Of course the final and most important step, which I usually forget, is take a minute to check everything is still in place on the bike. Once at a race meeting I binned it coming onto the straight, jumped straight back on, and realised once I attempted to brake for the hairpin from 150km/h that my front brake lever had snapped off. Hello tyrewall!! So check your bike out!

IMG_0012.JPG

Anyway that's my $0.02 on picking up a bike. Hope it's informative and maybe saves a hernia or two trying to pick up a fully laden adventure tourer from the shopping centre carpark :) And don't be afraid to practice on the grass in your front yard, it can save injury and embarassment later on :oops: :oops: :oops:

Leon