Atlantis Sand KTM 950

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamanya

Andrew to most
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Not a real ride report.

Went to Atlantis on Sunday.

If you havenâ??t been, you should.

I think this is the one that got the sand into the key slot? Lets just say that half a tin of silicone spray and think I might have moved a bit of it around.

214455994-M.jpg

Looks are deceiving. This is very soft sand. This is also what harder sand looks like.

214456248-M.jpg

Worse is that with so much glare it is very easy to be having a ball and miss the drop offs. There is little contrast so flying around here is not healthy, unless you donâ??t mind the odd endo or two.

Also there is a lot of 4x4â??s and quads to be mindful of, not to mention quite a few sand boarders (but they are softer than a landcruiser). But is it a big place.

214456105-M.jpg

So long as you keep your speed up it is pretty easy riding. Having all the power also makes it easier.

214455845-M.jpg

Pressures were 1.4 in the rear and 1.6 up front. I had full tanks of fuel just to see if it affected the handling. Not much but it was getting very unpleasant after the 4th fall (of 7).

I found out an interesting thing about riding down a dune; No matter how soft the sand so long as there was a bit of power going to the back the front doesn't tuck or do funny stuff. It is counter intuitive. The natural response is to trail some rear brake down or slightly keep a bit of front brake on. Both of these techniques make it very difficult. Just crest the dune gear down and open up a bit. Very stable.

I have made a video that probably shows it all a bit better;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aWsTORVfKk

In case it doesn't come out clear. It was the steel toe cap that gets ripped off. If I hadn't been wearing MX boots I would have been a lot sorer.

And, yes I should have put my helmet back on...

IMPRESSIVE.! did not realize how capable these beasts are! :)

Good on ya!

Kamaya,

looks lekker maar die wind waai n moorse hou!!!

Thanks for the invite???

or did you know that she is still RIP.

cool bru looks like fun for a masochist
;Dlooks like you got the hang of it though mostly

So a couple of weekends playing there and the sand monster should be conquered :)

Lekker Kam

That sand and the ones at West Beach and Zone 7 are the few things I miss from Karpstad.

Next time try getting your hands on a helmet cam. Would make things interesting

Cool, Kamanya 8)

Some skill there! How long do your video cameras last in those sandstorms?

So, the Dakar next...?

PS  I think I saw you heading north on the N1 at Paardeneiland on Sunday afternoon :)

Awesome!

I really appreciate the effort you put into filming yourself.
It takes a lot of patience to set up each time just to get the shot.
Only a helmet cam will never get the complete picture.
Ideally a combination of footage should be perfect.
Perhaps a second person handling the camera might be easier.

Some good riding there Kamanya. Seems like you're really enjoying the sand.
That last bit in the bushes borders on comedic though! :D

If I'm holding on to the AT I would love to come along next time - unfortunately it doesn't have that awesome power to weight ratio the KTM shows.

You love the sand don't you  ;D

Would really like to join you one day at Atlantis, please give me a shout.

Looks like you had a ball 8)

The sand moster appears to have no ill effect on you either :eek:

Good one

That bit of comedy was only the half of it. I had buried the rear trying to get out and had to tip it over and drag it to face the way you see when the videoing starts. I was well stuffed and over heating (thatâ??s why the helmet came off) by the time I remembered that I should actually film it.

Atlantis has numerous tracks off the main dunes that have these bowl features with very soft sand in them that are almost impossible to get out of if you have a heavy bike. Momentum is your friend and it is hard to get it going in the short spaces, hence I had to go bundu bashing to get a running start.

For those that want to join me, you need to get a permit. R600 from July to June.

Um, er, I borrowed oneâ?¦

I would think that a group of no bigger than about 5 would do it. Late afternoon I think would be best, it is very difficult to see the dunes at mid day and it is very busy in the morning.

Skills wise itâ??s all in the head. And once youâ??ve mastered it youâ??ll wonder what all the fuss was about.

You definitely will have a few biffs. But biffing here doesnâ??t even leave scratches. No mirrors allowed though as you definitely will lose those.

We need a play park like that up here in GP.

Just don't leave the camera  alone to film - it will grow legs and vanish as soon as you hit the first crest ;D

am keen for a bit of that just need to move the excess from my midriff into my goens first
and then get fit cos i can see myself playing pick up the kreef a lot

Ah it's good to someone enjoying their bike the way you do! Does it make me a bad person if I laughed out loud at your Dufus moment?  ;D

Great Video ;D ;D ;D

Would love to see a Beemer there... ;)

Well Ama can ride, that's for sure :)

Was karking myself and he comes flying past me, standing on the pegs and waving at me :eek: ;D

Ratel said:
Well Ama can ride, that's for sure :)

Was karking myself and he comes flying past me, standing on the pegs and waving at me :eek: ;D

Hey Ratel. I wasnt flying. I did a courtesy call stop next to you and asked if its ok if I may pass.  ;D ;D ;D