BABERTON

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEON 1190

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
Saturday morning with bikes filled we hit the R50 to Delmas and then onto the N12 -Witbank and then N4 to Millys , roads were pretty quite made good time . Had a good breakfast , filled up and was off on the nice part of the trip . Turned off the N4 into MACHADODORP , and out on the N541 toward Badplaas . this road is in pretty good condition , only some road works on the Skurwebergpass ,
Joined up on the R38 , and headed towards Nellshoogte , the road is in good condition , making for a brisk ride , Dropping down towards Barberton the temps rose to 34 degrees !
In Barberton we took a quick detour by going up the mountain towards the Josefsdal border , we did not go all the way , but stopped at a viewpoint to see all of Baberton from the mountain . This is a pretty steep climb up , and worth riding , with a bit more time , going all the way to the Border post would be a great ride . plenty corners .
From here we rode on the Kaapmuiden , road is good but the area is super dry , after good rains it must be amazing to see the green bush . Just before joining the N4 at Kaapmuiden we turned left onto the boulders road , this is part of the Crocodile river conservancy , another road to ride instead of the N4 .
Bit of N4 into Nelspruit to fill up the tanks once again . Made our way to Kaapsehoop , had a welcome cold beer and some pizza , after this the last 40 kilos to MALAG HOTEL for our pitstop .
As this hotel is mostly passed by as its on the N4 and close to Nelspruit and to far from Sabie , I think not many bikers stop here , Its a nice place to visit ,
With temps into the 30s I was wishing for my airflow kit , but ....
Sunday morning we woke up to overcast skies with a chill in the air , looked like rain , ( Thankfully I was not wearing the airflow kit) Our plan for the days ride was to Backtrack to the Sudwalla road then up the Rosehough take the Brondal road to Whiteriver and then Hazeview for breakfast ,
Nice ride even though it was a bit chilly , We filled up in Hazeview , had breakfast and headed towards Sabie , they are busy redoing the road so not in good nic , The 22 has 2 spots that the road has been washed away , detours with speed humps to slow drivers , but for the rest its pretty good , had a nice brisk ride , then Up Longtom pas to Lydenburg , the R540 to Dullsroom is in terrible condition with huge potholes , plenty dodgems , must be wide awake riding this bit of road !
From Dullstroom the road is fine ,

2 days riding covering 1100 kilos , was awesome . And warrants another weekend , Think we need to maybe make Barberton a base and explore more there , With Maputo still on the cards , leaving option for more adventures .

In Barberton we took a quick detour by going up the mountain towards the Josefsdal border , we did not go all the way , but stopped at a viewpoint to see all of Baberton from the mountain . This is a pretty steep climb up , and worth riding , with a bit more time , going all the way to the Border post would be a great ride . plenty corners .
That is an AMAZING road, with some occasional surprises such as cows and/or cow shit on the road, etc but, but the twisties and scenery makes up for it.

If you turn off about half way there is a dirt road that leads to a ghost town I still want to check out. From there you can follow a very scenic road which eventually leads back to the Machadodorp road if I'm not mistake.

PICTURES , that is one area I need to fix , we ride and never take pictures , I have for some time been toying with a action camera to mount on the bike to take pictures and video of where we ride .
Plenty pics in the memory but cant share them , When my partner used to ride with me she would take video in the ride , was always great to see afterwards

PICTURES , that is one area I need to fix , we ride and never take pictures , I have for some time been toying with a action camera to mount on the bike to take pictures and video of where we ride .
Plenty pics in the memory but cant share them , When my partner used to ride with me she would take video in the ride , was always great to see afterwards
vids and stuff can easily become a schlep. if you want minimum effort, get some go pro/similar mounted somewhere and set it to take a pic every minute. 10min after the ride to filter, maybe save a few good pics and move on.

Latest posts