Be careful, very careful

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrinceVlad

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Hi Guys

Just a warning for when the time comes to buy a bike.

I have been looking for a bike the past month maybe. I have contacted many people and looked at many ads.

Last week I saw an ad for a BMW R1150R and I contacted the seller. The bike was still available.

On the pics the bike looked good and the seller confirmed that it was in a very good condition. According to the ad the bike was a 2002 model with 29000km on and was selling for R44000. A pic of the odo also confirmed the mileage. One of the guys on 4x4community.co.za offered to check the bike out for me.

On Monday morning he gave me a call after he looked at the bike and said that the bike looked to be in a good condition, but that he was worried about the welded paralever arm (I posted about this in another thread). The seller also told him that he had the bike for the past 5000km and didn't know about the welded paralever. The seller also stated that the bike had been to a specific Motorrad dealer several times and that they know the bike. He then asked me to send him the VIN no because he had a contact at Motorrad and they can do a little research on the bike.

OK, the report is back from the contact.
1. The bike was never at the dealer, they say they don't know the bike and have never seen it.
2. The bike was first registered in April 2001 and therefore not a 2002 model as stated by the seller. One could understand if it was a December/January thing, but April is a long way from January.
3. The bike was last seen by a BMW dealer in June 2007 and, at that stage, it had 48000km on the clock. So, logically, it has far more than that on now. Now I don't know whether the clock can be turned back but suspect that it might have been replaced which may indicate accident damage.
4. The dealer says the value of the bike, taking into account the aforesaid, is at most R20000.

It therefore seems as if the broken paralever is the least of the worries. I know Im out. At first I thought of informing the seller, maybe he didn't know about it. But, he blatantly lied about the bike being at the dealer, so maybe he knows after all.

Guys, just that warning again, be careful out there when spending your hard earned cash and try to find out everything you can about what your buying.