Belated greybeard intro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deep6

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph 800 XC
Hello all.

I've been a member for a few years so this is a belated intro (with my apologies)

My first "real" bike was a 650 Triumph Bonneville that I bought out the box, brand spanking new way back in 1969. Went on the very first Buffalo rally that same year that was held in Bathurst. My riding partner had a Triumph Cub so it was a looong ride down there and back. It snowed on the mountains that weekend and most of the first day's riding back home was in the freezing rain. There was none of the modern miracle fibre clothing back then and ATGATT was a word still to be invented. I've never forgotten how cold I was on that ride home.

I did a lot of riding on that bike until some low-life stole it outside the Carlton Centre in Jo'burg one night while we were at the ice rink that was there. (Who remembers that?)

On a trip to Rustenburg

Not my bike but this is how they looked in the flesh. Still makes my heart skip a beat.

I couldn't afford to buy another and then life happened.
The desire for a bike however, never went away and some 30 or so years later I bought a classic Honda 900F to get back into biking again. It was fine but didn't speak to me as my Triumph did so I sold it.

A few years ago I was poking around on the Horizons Unlimited site and stumbled across Metal Jockey's wonderful, "The wife, the ex and the kid" ride report which led me to the adventurous world of DS riding and to the great fellowship to be found here on the Wild dogs forum.

Within a month or two after that I found a nice low mileage GS650F and have come to really enjoy it in the time I've had it. Its feel and handling remind me so much of the Bonneville. (I still miss that bike)

Ek moet bieg en se ek was nog nie off-road nie maar het Botswana toe gery sowel as na Augrabies toe. Ek was eintlik op pad Namibia toe maar hoor toe hulle aanvaar nie leerling lisensies nie toe draai ek maar om by Augrabies. Toe ek jonger was sou so n minor ding my nie gepla het nie. Maar nou ja, met die ouderdom sien n mens dinge n bietjie anders.

Meeste van die myle wat ek dusver opgesit het is maar commuting na werk toe. Moet se Namibia roep nog steeds.

Nou moet ek net hier rond soek vir daai vorm wat ek moet invul om by die "Grysbaard" klub aan te sluit. Of is dit nou die "Old Farts" club?