Bezuidenhout's Pass and Retief's Pass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonW

Grey Hound
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
Boss Hoss (all models)
I have wanted to do some riding in the Verlore Vallei area for a while, but just never got round to doing anything about it. Then I read KnopKops "Escarpment" ride report and I decided that it was time for me to get on my bike and do this ride.

So I phoned my mate Outthere aka Kevin, and true to form he was keen to go as soon as possible. The only problem we faced was the cold front which had brought freezing weather and snow and rain to Southern Natal. After looking at weather forecasts we decided that Friday looked like it should be fine for doing the trip. We decided that we would go up Bezuidenhout's Pass, then down Retief's Pass, which is on private land, but we managed to get permission to ride it.

We left 06h00 on Friday morning, Kevin on his GS1200 and me on my KLR. The start of out journey was pitch dark and freezing, and before long my hands were stinging from the icy wind, damn I envied Kevin the luxury of his heated grips  >:D.

Kevin had plotted a stunning route from Howick to Bergville, sticking mostly to dirt roads. We headed out past Midmar, then through Dargle Valley, past Fort Nottingham towards the Kamberg.

As the sun rose the views of the Berg were quite spectacular in the early morning light

DSC02722.jpg

DSC02724.jpg

When we got to the Spotted Horse Lodge we decided that we had to stop for some coffee to warm our hands up. Coffee was so good that we decided to delay our stop there to have some breakfast as well, which turned out to be a great idea.

DSC02731.jpg

DSC02726.jpg

DSC02732.jpg

From there we headed through Hlatikulu, Loskop and onto Bergville.

The start of Bezuidenhout's Pass is just outside of Bergville along a good gravel road. By now the weather was fantastic, blue skies and sunny with a slight bite in the air just to let you know that Winter is on the way.

The start of the pass is quite easy riding, some stony patches and a few climbs, with great views all around.

DSC02733.jpg

DSC02734.jpg

DSC02737.jpg

DSC02738.jpg

We then got to the steep rocky section of the pass which has eroded quite badly recently. Kevin attempted this section first on his 1200, but he got the line wrong and didn't make it first time, but second attempt he got up no problem.

DSC02739.jpg

DSC02740.jpg

I went to have a look at the last step up and decided which line to take, but on my first attempt I found I didn't have enough momentum so I had to turn around, go back a bit and try it again. Second attempt was easy as anything and the KLR idled up no problem.

DSC02741.jpg

DSC02742.jpg

DSC02745.jpg

DSC02750.jpg

DSC02760.jpg

I firmly believe that for me the worst thing to do is to look at an obstacle before attempting it, as that just makes me more nervous than necessary, far better just to do it and deal with it as you hit it. This section was actually not really that difficult, but I can see why someone on his own might be reluctant to attempt it.

The views were stunning

DSC02746.jpg

DSC02747.jpg

DSC02763.jpg

If you can't be at the office because you are riding, make your ride the office

DSC02761.jpg

From the top of Bezuidenhout's Pass it is a short ride to where Retief's Pass starts. We were a bit apprehensive about this pass as I had not been able to find any info about people riding it, and the owner of the land had said we would never make it on a 1200. he also did say that it would be easier to go down than to come up, so that was some comfort.

The Kaalvoet Vrou Monument

DSC02769.jpg

Kevin at the start

DSC02765.jpg

Where we had to go

DSC02766.jpg

DSC02770.jpg

DSC02771.jpg

The pass started off quite nicely, well maintained and pretty easy to ride. The route took us past this little dam

DSC02779.jpg

But shortly after this the pass got a lot rougher and there was little evidence of the well maintained track we had set off on.

There were some loose stony slopes that we basically slid down, very steep. I think the farmer was right when he said going down was a better idea than up.

DSC02780.jpg

We made it down with no incidents at all, a very lekker ride with some awesome countryside around us

DSC02781.jpg

DSC02783.jpg

DSC02785.jpg

DSC02787.jpg

When we eventually arrived at the tar road after we were off the pass I was filled with mixed emotions. The pass had been great fun to ride, but had it lived up to expectations. I had spent more than a few hours doing research and plotting our route down the pass on Google Earth and now it was all over. Part of me wished that the pass had been more challenging and that we had not got down without any mishaps. When I voiced these thoughts to Kevin he put me in my place and told me that if it was any more hectic we probably would not have made it.

Guess he is right, but still...... Also he was on a 1200 and I was on a 650  :biggrin:

From there we had a pretty uneventful ride back to Hilton, sticking mostly to tar, partly because the GS's clutch had started to slip quite badly, but we both got home no problem.

This was a truly enjoyable ride. Thanks Kevin, I am lucky to have a riding buddy like you.

Very nice Jon, thanks for the report!!

I would love to give Bez another go, but not on my own again  :biggrin:

You guys make it souns so easy  :ricky:

Very nice pics!

Where exactly is Retief's Pass?, I can only see a road going up to Retief monument and ending in a cul de sac, is that it ?

Pieter you have to live in KZN for this one.
Owner was a bit reluctant .
Hope to see you in Sept for alfies weekend.
Cheers.

Any time anywhere Jon just need 10 K for new clutch.
Thanks for all your hard hours research Surlock.

Hi Kevin, my plan was to ride from the kaalvoet monument to Bezuidenhoutspass on my way to Alfi Cox vestival.
We will be about 12 ouks from Bloem

Perhaps you can talk to the farmer on our behalf :mwink:

Btw, I replaced my clutch 3 weeks ago, R12800  eish

Nice one guys

I have also had the pleasure of riding both those passes...and I bought a farm  ;) on Bezuidenhout's, the bloody 660 Ten I was riding got tied on the way down and decided it was time for a nap  ;D

[We will be about 12 ouks from Bloem

Perhaps you can talk to the farmer on our behalf :mwink:
]

He will crack had to sweet talk for just two of us.

Im sure we can look for better alternative.

Glad to here plans are taking place.

BTW  my whole bike is only worth that much  :( :eek:

JonW great to read. Was on my way to Bloem on Friday 12h00 and it was still bloody cold. You are tough. Nice pics and weel captured. Where do I book for Alfie Cox week?

I dont think entries have opened and on further investigation it looks like my dates may be off
so have deleted from previous post.
Will let you know .
SGB would be the best person to speak to.

Hi, dates for ACDSF: 1 - 4 September.  Info will be published within the next few weeks.  :thumleft: 8)

WOW...............Flippin lekker ride there Jon and Kevin.  :thumleft: Thanks for the pics.

Really sorry I could not make it.

Ridden both of them & it's an awesome ride.
:thumleft:

What a nice area - your pics are really great! Hats off for trying those roads! :thumleft:

Great ride, the first RR I have ever seen on Retief's  :thumleft: