Bikes pulling trailers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buff

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
After witnessing a guy & his wife camping with a little tow-along trailer behind his GS a few years ago I've developed a bit of a facination with bikes pulling trailers. With the continual petrol price hikes it's got me thinking along the lines of "I wonder if I would be able to pull my Offroad bike behind my Super Tenere and save myself time and money when going training?" The benefit to take is that I can just kit up at home, ride to the track/race and ride home again afterwards, no schlepping kit along  ;D

So I did some googling this morning and came up with some facinating pics. I'd be interested to know if any WD's have maybe tried building something like this and can give some me some feedback as to the response of the bike while pulling a load like this?
I chatted to the guy pulling the trailer behind his GS and he recons he cruizes at 140km/h with his wife on the back and hardly notices the extra weight. Wish I had pics of his set-up, it was really neat, this small little trailer that unfolded into a tent with a double bed, very impressive indeed  :thumleft:

As far as know, the legal implications in SA state that the towed vehicle may not weigh more than the TARE weight of the towing vehicle otherwise the trailer needs a self-braking system. I haven't check my tare on the ST but I'm guessing it at around 240kg, so if I'm loading a 100kg dirt bike, it means I need to build a trailer that weighs less than 140kg's  :eek: I wonder if that's possible?

Attachments

• 639032665_tPd84-L.jpg
    639032665_tPd84-L.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 624
  • IMG_1498.JPG
    IMG_1498.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 623
  • IMG_0766.JPG
    IMG_0766.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 619
  • Mini_trailer.gif
    Mini_trailer.gif