BIRTHDASY DASH

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEON 1190

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
Quick dash down to Mossel bay last weekend , to celebrate my partners and my birthdays. Friend works for BMW HQ and arranged a 3ld X5 for us to drive down , As he was still semi working when we left he gave me the opportunity to drive the fist shift , What a CAR , fantastic , but towing 2 x1190 KTMs had its toll , consumption was heavy , 16l/100 . but at a easy 130 .
About 40ks from Graaf Reinette we encountered the most kudu I have ever seen on the side of the road , just grazing , counted 15 in a short stretch , saw one and hit the brakes , this bull had his head about 50 cm from the front windscreen as I slowed , lucky was not moving , and yes I am aware that there are plenty kudu there and the dangers associated. We slowed way down to 90 .
Arrived in Rheebok just after 2am 11 hrs drive , Into bed for a couple hrs sleep , Thursday was my birthday so off the breakfast , on the way my buddy need fuel , and stops at the garage , i ride on check mirror , he not coming I stop , check out for him , Decide to make a U turn , wrong gear stall and tip over , DOF , hurt some muscle, but ok , pick up bike just a scratch , partner fuming , but we ride on to breakfast , this turns out to be poor , We then decide to ride to ABLERTINIA as there is a place that makes amazing milkshakes ,(tinytown) more crap and we have to contend with road works and STOP /GO. headback home , Have some drinks and snacks at home , early to bed .
FRIDAY big ride day , ROBERTS PASS -OUDSHOORN- KLAARSTROOM -OUDSHOORN -GEORGE -WILDERNESS-HOME
A nice 350 kilo ride , partner enjoys the ride , tip over forgiven :) stop in Oudshoorn for a cold drink and the main road is closed in prep for KK&K fest. but we slide past security and get a drink . out on the N12 to DE RUST I get pulled over ,drivers licence , bike licence , and then Meneer your number plate is undersize and does not conform to specks , I said yes i know , its just smaller , but take my medize , R500 BUCK TOPAIN IN SEPT . Now i have had this plate on for over 6 years, been across borders with it , 4 Cape tours , and all the way from Mossel bay to Saldana via Cape town , parked at the V&A never a problem but this lady ( COLORED)was not having it :ROFLMAO:
On to Klaarstroom , stopped at the Hotel for breakfast , was awesome and can recommend the place . Its just after 11.30 odd when we decide to return , its hot , put on jackets and ride back via Meyringspoort , up and down ride , just magic . from De Rust its hot , temp gauge shows 46.5 degrees , feels as if I am being hit with a huge heat fan . Heat from engine does not help .
Stop at SMIDSWINKEL for something cold , I use the ice on my palm , head , back of neck , its HOT , even try to wet my pant legs with ice hoping for it to cool me . We ride out , enjoy Outeniqua pass , a little tooooo busy with cars both ways , so play dodgems a bit . Cold drink in Wilderness and than back home .
Shower and dress for dinner , just to be hugely disappointed with cold food and restaurant managers not interested . Previous visits was out of this world , food was great ,Saturday it rained , took the BM to PINICAL POINT for lunch which also turned out to be SO SO .
Sunday . loaded bikes , and after sad good buys headed home . another 11hr drive .

Reactions: 456