Blown Voltage Regulator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bommelina

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
For those of you that may have a similar problem. I assume it can happen on any bike or vehicle for that matter.

My wife owns a Funduro that she wanted to sell. Excuse was that the lounge needs a new floor, and the bike were not much in use lately – I bought her a Bushlander that she prefers above the Bim – I volunteered to get the bike in a proper road worthy condition, seeing that the carbs are leaking fuel,  tires are smooth, battery flat, chain needs adjustment, filters to be replaced, dust all over……..

Here I must add, she travelled with that Funduro on her single own self across South Africa and Namibia.

Started to strip the carbs out, then I found this (see attached pics) Eaish, what motivated BMW to locate the voltage regulator onto the rubber air intake nozzle. Could have lost this bike in a spectacular bonfire.

HakunaMatata, No Problem, have this spare regulator lying around for my 30 year project Dakar. Wires are a bit different but it is essentially the same regulator. Install and connect. Start bike, Oh Oh smell this superheated PVC with the regulator getting seriously hot, cannot actually touched it.

No Problem, “druk daai krediet kaart tot dat dit projektiele braak” and buy the original from BMW. R1700-00 later installed, same problem f@#$# what now?

OK let’s check out the stator. Removed it and noticed that 3 of the 18 coils looks a bit suspect. Insulation a little bit of colour. No problem again, got this spare stator of the Dakar. Install it. Result, F, FF, Triple Fook. What now?

Start measuring between the AC phases with engine running and not running. Current, Voltage, Resistance, but could not find any funny readings.

The light went on and the bells start ringing. V=IR and W=VI.

Next step, ripped those three yellow wires out of the loom from the stator to the regulator. Install a new set of thicker wires straight from the regulator to the stator, bypassing all those interconnecting plug & sockets on the wire loom - 3 of it.

Start bike, problem solved, just three bloody wires. Sheet. That R1700-00 could have bought a lot of beer, or sponsered a bike trip.

What has blown the regulator the first time? Do not ask me, will like to know.

hh

Attachments

• F650ST-DC Ouput wires.jpg
    F650ST-DC Ouput wires.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 117
  • F650ST-Toasted Regulator.jpg
    F650ST-Toasted Regulator.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 127